Exploring Cesaro Mean and Its Limitations

• Thread starter mlarson9000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the Cesaro mean is defined as σ=(1/n)(x1 +...+xn) and it is possible for xn > 0 for all n and limsup xn = ∞, but limσ = 0. This is shown by constructing a piecewise sequence where the subsequence where n = 2^k increases to infinity at a slow pace and the remaining terms of the sequence are small and decreasing towards 0. This sequence satisfies the conditions and the Cesaro mean approaches 0 as n approaches infinity.
mlarson9000

Homework Statement

Define the cesaro mean as σ=(1/n)(x1 +...+xn)
Can it happen that xn >0 for all n, and limsup xn =∞, but limσ=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am supposed to construct a piecewise sequence, with ln(n), but I can't figure this out or the life of me. The professor says there is a sequence that will work.

Physics news on Phys.org
So [itex]\limsup x_n = +\infty[/itex] means that there is a subsequence that diverges to infinity.

So we know that there must be a subsequence that becomes arbitrarily large. However, if the other terms of the sequence are small and if the elements of the subsequence lie very far apart, then you can see that you can make the Cesaro mean small.

If you don't see how to do it immediately. Can you come up with 100 positive numbers such that the largest number is greater or equal than 10, but such that the mean is smaller than 0.5 ??

Now, can you add 1000 numbers to that sequence such that the largest number is greater than 20, but such that the mean is smaller than 0.05 ??

Can you generalize this idea?

I have a piecewise sequence for xn, where xn = √n for x10n , 1/n2 otherwise.

I know that the series 1/n2 converges, so that part of the mean will go to zero when it is divided by n.
For the other part, √n:
at n=10, xn/n=.31
at n=100, xn/n=.1
at n=1000, xn/n=.031

I think that will work, I'm just not sure how to say this in the form of a proof.
"It looks like the mean will get very small," doesn't seem very rigourous.

Am I on the right track at least?

I don't see why you are calculating [itex]\frac{x_n}{n}[/itex]. That's not the Cesaro mean...

What I have for the sequence I described is:
σ10=.599
σ100=.101
σ1000=.032

But I'm not sure how to describe this formally.

Try defining ##x_n## such that the subsequence where ##n = 2^k## (i.e. powers of 2) increases to infinity at a suitably slow pace. Then make ##x_n## small and decreasing toward 0 for all other values of ##n##.

I think we have found a couple that will work, the difficult part is proving it. How do I do that?

Last edited:
mlarson9000 said:
I think we have found a couple that will work, the difficult part is proving it. How do I do that?
Well, that depends on what sequence you have chosen. But to speak in general terms, let's say we define ##a_n## to be any sequence of positive numbers such that ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n = L## is finite. Then define ##b_n## to be zero whenever ##n## is not a power of 2. For ##n## equal to a power of 2, use something that grows slowly to infinity. Then put ##x_n = a_n + b_n##. We have
$$\begin{align}
\frac{1}{N}\sum_{n=1}^{N} x_n &= \frac{1}{N}\sum_{n=1}^{N} a_n + \frac{1}{N}\sum_{n=1}^{N} b_n \\
&\leq \frac{1}{N}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n + \frac{1}{N}\sum_{n=1}^{N} b_n \\
&= \frac{L}{N} + \frac{1}{N}\sum_{n=1}^{N} b_n \\
&= \frac{L}{N} + \frac{1}{N}\sum_{n\textrm{ a power of 2}} b_n \\
\end{align}$$
What happens next depends on how you chose ##b_n##. So what do you propose to use for ##b_n##?

I have an=1/(10n), for n≠10k
bn=log(n) if n=10k

I think the argument should go as follows. Since b10 =1, b100=2, b1000= 3, etc., then,

σn≤(1/n)[Ʃ10-n] +n*10-n

Taking the limit of that as n→∞ would be zero. Does that make sense?

mlarson9000 said:
I have an=1/(10n), for n≠10k
bn=log(n) if n=10k

I think the argument should go as follows. Since b10 =1, b100=2, b1000= 3, etc., then,

σn≤(1/n)[Ʃ10-n] +n*10-n

Taking the limit of that as n→∞ would be zero. Does that make sense?
Yes, this will work. For the second sum, you can write
$$\begin{align}
\frac{1}{N}\sum_{n=1}^{N} b_n
&= \frac{1}{N}\left(\sum_{n \leq N, n \textrm{ a power of 10}} \log_{10}(n)\right) \\
&= \frac{1}{N} \sum_{k = 1}^{\lfloor \log_{10}(N) \rfloor} k \\
&= \frac{1}{N} \frac{(\lfloor \log_{10}(N)\rfloor)(\lfloor\log_{10}(N)\rfloor+1)}{2} \\
\end{align}$$
where ##\lfloor \cdot \rfloor## denotes the floor function. You should be able to argue pretty easily that this converges to ##0## as ##N \rightarrow \infty##.

Thank you!

1. What is Cesaro Mean?

Cesaro Mean, also known as Cesaro summability, is a method of assigning a value to a divergent series by taking the average of its partial sums. It is often used to evaluate the convergence or divergence of a series.

2. How is Cesaro Mean calculated?

The Cesaro Mean is calculated by taking the average of the partial sums of a series. This is done by dividing the sum of the first n terms of the series by n, where n is the number of terms.

3. What are the limitations of Cesaro Mean?

Cesaro Mean has limitations in determining the convergence or divergence of certain series. It may assign a value to a series that does not converge, known as a Cesaro summable series. Additionally, it may not give a value to a series that does converge, known as a non-Cesaro summable series.

4. How is Cesaro Mean used in mathematics and science?

Cesaro Mean is used in mathematics and science to evaluate the convergence or divergence of series, as well as to study the properties of various mathematical functions. It has applications in probability theory, signal processing, and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any alternative methods to Cesaro Mean?

Yes, there are other methods for assigning values to divergent series, such as Abel summability and Borel summability. However, each method has its own limitations and applications, and the choice of method depends on the specific situation and context.