Cesius-133 Atom: Exploring Engineering Concepts

• Thread starter Dandy Candy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom
In summary, the definition of the second was changed from 1/86400 of the mean solar day to 1/31556925.9747 of the tropical year 1900. This change was made because of irregularities in the Earth's rotation. The atomic clock is based on this new definition.
Dandy Candy
Hi all,

I am a new member in your forum and I am very pleased to join it. This my first theard in this great forum.

My Q.:

The unit of time was originally defined as 1/86400 of the mean solar day. Because of irregularities in the Earth roatation, the definition was changed to the '' emphemeris second '', i.e., 1/31556925.9747 of the tropical year 1900. In 1967 , this definition was replaced.

the second is the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between two hyperfine of the ground state of the cesius-133 atom.

The defintion is based on the atomic clock. One of the best atomic clocks ( NIST-F1) is precise to within about 1 second in 60 million years, or 5 parts in 10^16. Commercially available atomic clocks are precise to within 3 parts in 10^12.

I didn't understand this paragraph .. it's from my textbook !

Concepts in Engineering
Second Edition
Mark Holtzapple and W. Reece
McGraw-Hill
2008Would you mind explaining it, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
no reply ?!

:(

Dandy Candy said:
The defintion is based on the atomic clock. One of the best atomic clocks ( NIST-F1) is precise to within about 1 second in 60 million years, or 5 parts in 10^16. Commercially available atomic clocks are precise to within 3 parts in 10^12.

I didn't understand this paragraph .. it's from my textbook !

It means that if you set the clock "exactly", and then wait 60 million years, it could be reading the wrong time. But, it will only be off by about 1 second or so, after all that time.

"5 parts in 10^16" means the time could be off by 5 seconds after having run for 10^16 seconds (that's about 300 million years).

Or it could be off by 5 nanoseconds after having run for 10^16 nanoseconds (that's 16.5 weeks). A nanosecond is a billionth of a second or 10^-9 seconds.

no reply ?!

Many of us (in USA) were sleeping when you first posted.

Redbelly98

Thanks a lot !

: )

1. What is a cesium-133 atom and why is it important in engineering?

A cesium-133 atom is an atom of the chemical element cesium that contains 133 protons and 133 electrons. It is important in engineering because it is used as the basis for atomic clocks, which are highly accurate timekeeping devices used in various engineering applications such as navigation, telecommunications, and satellite communication.

2. How is the cesium-133 atom used in atomic clocks?

The cesium-133 atom is used in atomic clocks by measuring the frequency of the electromagnetic radiation emitted when the electrons in the atom transition between energy levels. This frequency is extremely stable and serves as the basis for the precise timekeeping of atomic clocks.

3. What are the main engineering concepts involved in studying the cesium-133 atom?

The main engineering concepts involved in studying the cesium-133 atom include quantum mechanics, atomic physics, spectroscopy, and electronics. Engineers use these concepts to understand the behavior of the atom and develop technologies that utilize its properties.

4. How is the cesium-133 atom produced in a laboratory setting?

The cesium-133 atom can be produced in a laboratory setting through the process of isotope separation. This involves separating the cesium-133 isotope from other isotopes of cesium using various techniques such as centrifugation, ion exchange, or laser isotope separation.

5. What potential applications can the cesium-133 atom have in the future?

The cesium-133 atom has potential applications in a variety of fields, including navigation, telecommunications, and scientific research. It is also being studied for potential use in quantum computing and precision measurement devices. Further advancements in understanding the atom could lead to even more diverse applications in the future.