1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CFD Combustion Research

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    Hey everyone, I've got a question that been in the back of my mind for a few months now. Hopefully someone on this forum can provide me with some guidance.

I just finished my undergraduate career in aeronautical engineering; I'll be starting graduate school this coming August. On a gut feeling I decided to look for graduate programs in combustion/propulsion systems. After a long battle within myself I finally selected a university and a program. I am pretty sure my research will be on turbulent combustion simulation. As a graduate student going into CFD what type of work (aside from the obvious) should I expect?

On another note:
    When I was an undergrad I taught myself a lot of aerodynamics and it is a subject I truly have a passion for. After learning that there is virtually no theoretical research being conducted in this field I decided to study reacting flows. I am hoping that this branch of fluid mechanics is both broad and theoretical so I can develop my professional foundation to pursue my own research interests.

Basically, I am asking if anyone here can provide me with some insight into this type of graduate work or if they could describe a similar situation that they've experienced. What were your outcomes?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted