Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CFD Software

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    For a research project, I am in need of CFD software. Does anybody know any relatively inexpensive, or free, software I may purchase that will help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

If one is doing a research project, I have to wonder if inexpensive or free would be sufficient in terms of capability or quality.

The biggies are CFX and FLUENT (both by ANSYS) and Star-CD (CD-Adapco).

I used to have a CFD codes list, but I'll have to dig through my archives to see if it's still viable.

What is the particular area of interest? Thermal/heat transfer/transport or more complex, e.g. thermo-mechanical? Liquid or gas or both (two-phase)? Turbulent?
  4. Apr 23, 2008 #3
    I'm sorry if I was not clear. I am a high schooler, and this is for a mandatory research project. I do not think that it would be worth the amount of money for these programs, just for this type of research project.

I am doing the project on wind turbine blade designs as a set wind speed, and wanted to use a more accurate approach for getting results, ie CFD software, rather than building a mock up model of the turbine blades by hand, and just seeing how well they physically perform.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?