CFD Software

• Thread starter Jones1987
  • Start date
Hi guys,

I need to test the airflow over a wing, I cant find any suitable software to do this job. I heard ANSYS is a good bet, but when I try I'm just lost... (not much exp with it).

So anyone got any suggestions to analyse airflow of the wing.

Answers and Replies

Use the "Panel Method."

I did this in graduate school for airflow over a wing (years ago). It worked very good. You can write the program in Basic, Fortran, C, or whatever in a day if I recall.

boneh3ad
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Assuming it is a 2D wing, try XFOIL. It is a panel method code (I believe) with various corrections making it more accurate.

What exactly are you looking for? Do you just want lift and drag, or do you need the flowfield over the wing?

What exactly are you looking for? Do you just want lift and drag, or do you need the flowfield over the wing?

I'm wanting the actual flow over the airfoil, I've found some software which supports the panel method which I'm currently testing out, seems the business from what I can see, but I'll keep you posted on how progress is :D

So I am using software called Caedium... It allows me to test airfoils... however they need to be in a .brep format.

I can use the example file they use, however I'm having a hard time working out how to use new .brep files ive converted

I can use a .pts but this seems a ridiculous way of doing it. Anyone got exp with this software or know of a better means?

Last edited: