Finding Software to Analyze Airflow over a Wing

In summary, the conversation discusses different software options for analyzing the airflow over a wing. Some suggestions include ANSYS and XFOIL, which use a panel method. The person also mentions using a software called Caedium, but is having difficulty with using new .brep files. They are seeking advice or suggestions for a better approach.
Jones1987
Hi guys,

I need to test the airflow over a wing, I can't find any suitable software to do this job. I heard ANSYS is a good bet, but when I try I'm just lost... (not much exp with it).

So anyone got any suggestions to analyse airflow of the wing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use the "Panel Method."

I did this in graduate school for airflow over a wing (years ago). It worked very good. You can write the program in Basic, Fortran, C, or whatever in a day if I recall.

Assuming it is a 2D wing, try XFOIL. It is a panel method code (I believe) with various corrections making it more accurate.

What exactly are you looking for? Do you just want lift and drag, or do you need the flowfield over the wing?

RandomGuy88 said:
What exactly are you looking for? Do you just want lift and drag, or do you need the flowfield over the wing?

I'm wanting the actual flow over the airfoil, I've found some software which supports the panel method which I'm currently testing out, seems the business from what I can see, but I'll keep you posted on how progress is :D

So I am using software called Caedium... It allows me to test airfoils... however they need to be in a .brep format.

I can use the example file they use, however I'm having a hard time working out how to use new .brep files I've converted

I can use a .pts but this seems a ridiculous way of doing it. Anyone got exp with this software or know of a better means?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of analyzing airflow over a wing?

The purpose of analyzing airflow over a wing is to understand how air flows around a wing and how it affects the lift and drag forces acting on the wing. This is important in designing efficient and aerodynamic wings for aircraft and other vehicles.

2. What types of software are available for analyzing airflow over a wing?

There are various types of software available for analyzing airflow over a wing, including computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software, wind tunnel simulation software, and aerodynamics design software. Each type has its own capabilities and limitations, so it is important to choose the right software for your specific needs.

3. How do I choose the right software for analyzing airflow over a wing?

When choosing software for analyzing airflow over a wing, consider factors such as the type of analysis you need (steady-state or transient), the level of accuracy required, the complexity of your wing design, and your budget. It is also helpful to read reviews and compare features of different software options.

4. Can I use free software for analyzing airflow over a wing?

Yes, there are some free software options available for analyzing airflow over a wing, such as OpenFOAM and XFLR5. However, these may have limited capabilities and may not be suitable for more complex analyses. It is important to carefully evaluate the features and limitations of free software before using it for your project.

5. Do I need specialized training to use software for analyzing airflow over a wing?

Yes, most software for analyzing airflow over a wing requires specialized training and knowledge of aerodynamics principles. It is important to have a strong understanding of the software's capabilities and limitations, as well as the underlying physics, in order to effectively use it for your analysis.