Calculating Gasflow (CFM) with Pressure (PSI) and Sound (dBuV)

In summary, the formula for calculating gasflow (CFM) with pressure (PSI) and sound (dBuV) is CFM = (psi x 60) / dBuV. This formula can be used for all types of gases, but it is important to ensure accurate and consistent measurements. To convert units when using this formula, you can use the following conversions: Pa = psi x 6895, dBuV = 20log(Pa/20), and dBm = dBuV + 107. This calculation is significant in industries like HVAC to ensure proper air flow for efficient operation, but it may not be accurate in all scenarios due to the assumptions of constant temperature and pressure.
sEngineer
Hi,

Is it possible to calculate gasflow(cfm) given pressure(psi) and sound(dbuv). I am writing some software to report and track air leaks and the hardware the user will be using is the ultraprobe 9000.

Thanks and I appreciate any information.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any Ideas??

No. Sound depends on so many quantities that it would differ for every application. You would need to essentially calibrate your equation for every separate application you are applying it too, and that would require knowing the CFM to begin with.

What is the formula for calculating gasflow (CFM) with pressure (PSI) and sound (dBuV)?

The formula for calculating gasflow is CFM = (psi x 60) / dBuV, where CFM is cubic feet per minute, psi is pounds per square inch, and dBuV is decibels referenced to one microvolt.

How do I convert units when calculating gasflow with pressure and sound?

To convert from psi to Pa (Pascals), use the formula Pa = psi x 6895. To convert from Pa to dBuV, use the formula dBuV = 20log(Pa/20). To convert from dBuV to dBm (decibels referenced to one milliwatt), use the formula dBm = dBuV + 107.

Can I use this formula for all types of gases?

Yes, this formula can be used for all types of gases as long as the pressure and sound measurements are accurate and consistent.

What is the significance of calculating gasflow with pressure and sound?

Calculating gasflow with pressure and sound is important in various industries such as HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), where it is necessary to ensure proper air flow for efficient and effective operation.

Are there any limitations to this formula?

This formula is based on ideal gas laws and assumes constant temperature and pressure. It may not be accurate in all scenarios, especially if there are significant changes in temperature or pressure.