Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cgs vs. SI

1. Jan 7, 2007 #1
    I have a simple question.

I understand the quantitative differences between cgs and SI units, but when will I be expected to use one over the other? For example, do physicists prefer one set of units?

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2007 #2

ranger

Gold Member

I really doesnt matter which system you use. The important thing is to be consistent with units. I was taught with the SI system, so I have come to prefer it, but thats not to say that it is better than cgs. Its a matter of preference and being able to move from one system to another. In fact its better that you be able to move between systems. But I guess the times will soon change and one can only speculate that the SI will out do cgs, as SI is widely used.

4. Jan 7, 2007 #3
    The short answer is that cgs is on the way out and mks is on the way in.

5. Jan 8, 2007 #4

rbj

except the real, hard-core physicists keep saying that the Fine-structure constant is:

[tex] \alpha = \frac{e^2}{\hbar c} [/tex]

which is the cgs way of saying it. the MKS (and general unit system) way to say it is:

[tex] \alpha = \frac{e^2}{\hbar c (4 \pi \epsilon_0)} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?