Making Methane a More Useful Fuel: Catalyst Possibilities?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of making methane more useful as a fuel by converting it into longer hydrocarbon chains. The speaker suggests the use of a catalyst to achieve this and mentions processes such as oil refining and Fischer-Tropsch as potential methods. However, it is noted that these processes require energy and may not be very efficient.
iwant2beoz
This might be a stupid question so forgive me if it is. I am looking for a way to make methane more useful as a fule and it seems to me that to do that I would have to make it into a longer hydro-carbon chane. Is there a catalyst that could be used to do this? Thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Define "more useful as a fuel".

Borek said:
Define "more useful as a fuel".
Yeah; by most standards, methane is pretty useful as a fuel.

A higher energy content, like propane.

It takes energy to make methane have a higher energy content by constructing a longer carbon chain. That's what they do in oil refineries: they break down long-chain molecules into shorter chain stuff, and take short stuff and synthesize longer-chain molecules, until Chief Engineer Goldilocks says the product is "Just right".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_Refinery

iwant2beoz said:
A higher energy content, like propane.
Per what unit? Natural gas is higher per unit mass than propane, but a little lower per unit volume (in liquid form). Still not sure what that has to do with being useful though.

Maybe I should rephrase my question. I want to make natural gas comporable to gasoline as a fuel?

Then, you'll have to link CH4 molecules until you start to obtain octane [C8H18] and larger molecules. As was stated earlier, it takes energy to do this. It is done somewhat on a limited basis in current petroleum refineries to produce gasoline, diesel fuel, etc., from crude oil feed stock.

There are other processes, like the Fischer-Tropsch and the Bergius processes, which produce synthetic liquid fuels from coal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer–Tropsch_process

So it technically can be done but its not very efficient. Well thank you

1. How is methane currently used as a fuel?

Methane is primarily used as a fuel for heating and electricity generation. It is also used as a fuel for transportation, particularly in compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles.

2. What are the limitations of using methane as a fuel?

One major limitation is that it is a gas at room temperature and must be compressed or liquefied for efficient storage and transportation. Additionally, unburned methane is a potent greenhouse gas, contributing to climate change.

3. How can catalysts make methane a more useful fuel?

Catalysts can help overcome the limitations of using methane as a fuel by converting it into more easily transportable and usable forms, such as methanol or hydrogen. They can also improve the efficiency of methane combustion, reducing emissions and increasing energy output.

4. What types of catalysts are being explored for methane conversion?

Several types of catalysts are being studied, including metal-organic frameworks, zeolites, and transition metal oxides. Each of these catalysts has unique properties that make them suitable for specific methane conversion reactions.

5. Are there any challenges to using catalysts for methane conversion?

Yes, there are several challenges that must be addressed in order to make methane conversion with catalysts a viable option. These include finding catalysts that are cost-effective, stable, and selective for desired reactions. Additionally, there are challenges in scaling up catalyst production and integrating them into existing infrastructure.