Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ch4 catalyst

1. May 30, 2014 #1
    This might be a stupid question so forgive me if it is. Im looking for a way to make methane more useful as a fule and it seems to me that to do that I would have to make it in to a longer hydro-carbon chane. Is there a catalyst that could be used to do this? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Define "more useful as a fuel".

4. May 30, 2014 #3

russ_watters

Yeah; by most standards, methane is pretty useful as a fuel.

5. May 30, 2014 #4
    A higher energy content, like propane.

6. May 30, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It takes energy to make methane have a higher energy content by constructing a longer carbon chain. That's what they do in oil refineries: they break down long-chain molecules into shorter chain stuff, and take short stuff and synthesize longer-chain molecules, until Chief Engineer Goldilocks says the product is "Just right".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_Refinery

7. May 30, 2014 #6

russ_watters

Per what unit? Natural gas is higher per unit mass than propane, but a little lower per unit volume (in liquid form). Still not sure what that has to do with being useful though.

8. May 31, 2014 #7
    Maybe I should rephrase my question. I want to make natural gas comporable to gasoline as a fuel?

9. May 31, 2014 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then, you'll have to link CH4 molecules until you start to obtain octane [C8H18] and larger molecules. As was stated earlier, it takes energy to do this. It is done somewhat on a limited basis in current petroleum refineries to produce gasoline, diesel fuel, etc., from crude oil feed stock.

There are other processes, like the Fischer-Tropsch and the Bergius processes, which produce synthetic liquid fuels from coal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer–Tropsch_process

10. Jun 2, 2014 #9
    So it technically can be done but its not very efficient. Well thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook