Chandrasekhar Mass and the Relativistic Star: Finding the Value of K for n=3

• I
  • Thread starter Apashanka das
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the author is looking for the pressure-density connection coefficient for a star with a polytrophic index of 3.
Apashanka das
From the mass radius relation I have gone through mass of a relativistic star ( polytrophic index 3) which is
4piM3(K/piG)3/2
can anyone please suggest me any information of where the value of k is determined for relativistic star( for n=3) via any link
Where k is constt

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Apashanka das said:
From the mass radius relation I have gone through mass of a relativistic star ( polytrophic index 3) which is
4piM3(K/piG)3/2
can anyone please suggest me any information of where the value of k is determined for relativistic star( for n=3) via any link
Where k is constt
Please clarify your symbols. What is n -- is it the polytropic index? What is k -- is it the same as K? M3 must be a mass -- but the mass of what? (What does the subscript 3 signify?)

JMz said:
Please clarify your symbols. What is n -- is it the polytropic index? What is k -- is it the same as K? M3 must be a mass -- but the mass of what? (What does the subscript 3 signify?)
yes all the standard notations
n is polytrophic index
k is the constt connecting pressure and density
M3 is the mass of a star for p
JMz said:
yes standard notations from the book dina prialnik
Screenshot_20180307-125551.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180307-125551.jpg
    Screenshot_20180307-125551.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 427
You must be more consistent in your notation: k and K are two different symbols. Also, M3 is not a standard symbol in physics, it is apparently one that this specific author chose.

To answer your question: I suggest you start with WP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrasekhar_limit, which should enable you to determine the origin of the author's K.

JMz said:
You must be more consistent in your notation: k and K are two different symbols. Also, M3 is not a standard symbol in physics, it is apparently one that this specific author chose.

To answer your question: I suggest you start with WP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrasekhar_limit, which should enable you to determine the origin of the author's K.
actually K is the connection coefficient between pressure and density
Hence I am looking for the K for polytrophic index 3 ,that's only I want where
P=Kρ(n+1)/n
where n is the polytrophic index
P is the pressure
And ρ is the density of the star

I believe requires only a little algebra to relate your K to Wikipedia's notation.

1. What is the Chandrasekhar mass?

The Chandrasekhar mass is the maximum mass that a white dwarf star can have before it undergoes a type Ia supernova explosion. It was first calculated by the Indian astrophysicist Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar in the 1930s.

2. How is the Chandrasekhar mass calculated?

The Chandrasekhar mass is calculated using the equations of general relativity and the properties of degenerate matter, which is the state of matter that exists at the extreme densities found in white dwarf stars. It is approximately 1.4 times the mass of the Sun.

3. What happens when a white dwarf reaches the Chandrasekhar mass?

When a white dwarf reaches the Chandrasekhar mass, it can no longer support itself against its own gravity. This leads to a catastrophic collapse and a type Ia supernova explosion, which releases a huge amount of energy and can outshine an entire galaxy for a brief period of time.

4. Why is the Chandrasekhar mass important?

The Chandrasekhar mass is important because it sets the upper limit for the mass of a white dwarf. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the life cycle of stars and the processes that lead to supernova explosions.

5. Can the Chandrasekhar mass vary for different types of stars?

No, the Chandrasekhar mass is a universal limit for all white dwarf stars, regardless of their composition or other properties. However, it can vary slightly depending on the equation of state used to calculate it.