Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chadrashekar limit

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Chadrasekhar limit

In my thermo text, we arrived at an estimate of the chandrasekhar limit using the assumptions T=0, uniform mass density and.... p>>mc.

I can maaaaaybe accept that in the context of a very rough approximation, but then the text says, "A more realistic calculation, which does not suppose a uniform density, gives [itex]M_C=1.4 M_{\bigodot}[/itex]". Thats means that in their so-called more realistic calculation, they still assume the unphysical p>>mc.

That someone explain that?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2006 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the momenta were not much greater than mc throughout much of the star, then the star would be sub-Chandrasekhar, practically by definition. Another way of thinking of the Chandrasekhar mass is the limit of relativistic degeneracy for a self-gravitating, electron-degenerate object.

4. Dec 6, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh wait a sec. My problem is that I was thinking classically about momentum. p>>mc does not imply v>>c. So there is nothing unphysical about p>>mc.

5. Dec 6, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Remember, in relativity, the spatial part of momentum is given by

[tex]
    p = \frac{mv}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}},
    [/tex]

not by the Newtonian expression [itex]p = mv[/itex].

Thu,s [itex]p >> mc[/itex] when [itex]v >> c/\sqrt{2}[/itex], so [itex]v > c[/itex] is not needed.

Edit: While I was typing, you saw the light. :smile:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?