1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chadrashekar limit

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Chadrasekhar limit

In my thermo text, we arrived at an estimate of the chandrasekhar limit using the assumptions T=0, uniform mass density and.... p>>mc.

I can maaaaaybe accept that in the context of a very rough approximation, but then the text says, "A more realistic calculation, which does not suppose a uniform density, gives [itex]M_C=1.4 M_{\bigodot}[/itex]". Thats means that in their so-called more realistic calculation, they still assume the unphysical p>>mc.

That someone explain that?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2006 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If the momenta were not much greater than mc throughout much of the star, then the star would be sub-Chandrasekhar, practically by definition. Another way of thinking of the Chandrasekhar mass is the limit of relativistic degeneracy for a self-gravitating, electron-degenerate object.

4. Dec 6, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh wait a sec. My problem is that I was thinking classically about momentum. p>>mc does not imply v>>c. So there is nothing unphysical about p>>mc.

5. Dec 6, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Remember, in relativity, the spatial part of momentum is given by

[tex]
    p = \frac{mv}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}},
    [/tex]

not by the Newtonian expression [itex]p = mv[/itex].

Thu,s [itex]p >> mc[/itex] when [itex]v >> c/\sqrt{2}[/itex], so [itex]v > c[/itex] is not needed.

Edit: While I was typing, you saw the light. :smile:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?