Find Time for Chain to Pass Thru Tube: Lagrange Eqn Solution

In summary, a uniform chain of length L and mass M is constrained to move in a frictionless tube. Initially, a fraction (1-f0) of the chain rests in a horizontal section of the tube, while the remaining fraction f is on an inclined section at an angle theta. When the chain is released at t = 0, it begins to slide down the tube. The time for the remainder of the chain to pass through the horizontal section can be found by using the Lagrange equation to solve for the equation of motion, which has a solution involving exponential or trigonometric functions depending on the value of f. The initial condition for f can be determined by the proportion of the chain on the incline.
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A uniform chain of length L and mass M is constrained to move in a frictionless tube. Initially a fraction (1-f0) of the chain rests in a horizontal section of the tube. The remaining fraction f rests in a section of the tube that is inclined downward from the horizontal at an angle theta. At t = 0, the chain is released and begins to slide down the tube. Find the time for the remainder of the chain to pass through the horizontal section of the tube.

Homework Equations

Lagrange equation

The Attempt at a Solution

We want to characterize the system completely by the parameter f.

[tex] T = \frac{1}{2}M\dot{l}^2[/tex]
where l = f * L
[tex] T = \frac{1}{2}ML^2\dot{f}^2[/tex]

[tex]V = -\int{mg dh}[/tex]
where m = f * M
[tex]V = -\int{mfg\sin{\theta}dl}[/tex]
[tex]V = -\int{mfg\sin{\theta}Ldf}[/tex]
[tex]V = \frac{-Mgsin{\theta}Lf^2}{2}[/tex]

Note we take the horizontal part of the chain to be at a gravitational potential of 0, thus it does not contribute.

[tex]L = T - V = \frac{1}{2}M\dot{f}^2L^2 + \frac{1}{2}Mg\sin{\theta}Lf^2[/tex]

Then I can plug into the Lagrange equation and solve. Does this solution seem to be correct? If I am not mistaken this Lagrangian gives trigonometric functions as the solution, which seems somewhat odd for this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
… negative: trigonometric … positive: exponential

Hi nicksauce! :smile:

For negative parameter, it's trigonometric, for positive parameter it's exponential …

which btw agrees with the T + V = 0 method (I take it you're not allowed to use that in this question?). :smile:

Hi! I got the same equation for L. Solving for the equation of motion I get

[tex] f(t)'' - f(t)*c^2 = 0 [/tex]

which has as a solution

[tex] f(t) = c_1 * e^{c*t} + c_2 * e^{-c*t} [/tex]

where c is a constant. This doesn't seem right, since I have to solve f(t)=1, but I don't know c1 or c2. Help please? :s

Last edited:
hi mathman44! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

you can find c1 and c2 from the initial conditions :wink:

(usually they're given as f(0) = f'(0) = 0)

tiny-tim said:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

you can find c1 and c2 from the initial conditions :wink:

(usually they're given as f(0) = f'(0) = 0)

Thanks for the response tiny_tim!

I get f(0) = f_initial = c1 + c2. Also from f'(0)=0 I get that c1 = c2. Hence c1 = f_ini/2 = c2. But that doesn't work, I'm still unable to solve for "t" in the equation f(t)=1, I'm getting complex solutions. Help please! (could my solution to the ODE be incorrect? Doesn't the solution have to be an exponential since f is positive at all times?).

Last edited:

in this case the initial condition is f(0) = f0 :wink:

(or is it 1 - f0 ? :confused:)

Maybe this helps :s

eiplog.jpg

"f" is definitely the proportion of the chain hanging on the incline!

What is the purpose of finding time for a chain to pass through a tube using Lagrange's equation?

The purpose of finding the time for a chain to pass through a tube using Lagrange's equation is to determine the minimum amount of time it will take for the chain to pass through the tube, taking into account factors such as the length and weight of the chain, the shape and size of the tube, and any external forces acting on the chain.

How is Lagrange's equation used to solve for the time it takes for a chain to pass through a tube?

Lagrange's equation is a mathematical equation used to find the minimum or maximum value of a function subject to certain constraints. In the case of finding the time for a chain to pass through a tube, the function represents the total energy of the chain, and the constraints represent the physical parameters of the system. By setting up and solving Lagrange's equation, the minimum time for the chain to pass through the tube can be determined.

What factors are taken into account when using Lagrange's equation to find the time for a chain to pass through a tube?

When using Lagrange's equation to find the time for a chain to pass through a tube, factors such as the length and weight of the chain, the shape and size of the tube, and any external forces acting on the chain are taken into account. These factors affect the total energy of the chain and thus impact the minimum time it will take for the chain to pass through the tube.

What are the limitations of using Lagrange's equation to find the time for a chain to pass through a tube?

There are a few potential limitations when using Lagrange's equation to find the time for a chain to pass through a tube. The equation assumes that the chain is a continuous, flexible object and that the tube is a smooth, rigid surface. In reality, the chain may have discrete links and the tube may have imperfections that could affect the accuracy of the solution. Additionally, Lagrange's equation does not take into account any external disturbances or fluctuations in the system, which may also impact the actual time it takes for the chain to pass through the tube.

How can the solution for the time it takes for a chain to pass through a tube using Lagrange's equation be applied in real-world situations?

The solution for the time it takes for a chain to pass through a tube using Lagrange's equation can be applied in various real-world situations, such as designing conveyor belts, calculating the efficiency of industrial processes, or optimizing the performance of mechanical systems. By accurately determining the minimum time for the chain to pass through the tube, engineers and scientists can make informed decisions about the design and operation of these systems.