Analyzing Velocity and Force of a Chain in Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation ##F= \frac{\mathrm{d} (mv)}{\mathrm{d} t}## in a system where the mass of the chain is not constant. One person raises concerns about the validity of using this equation, as it only applies to constant-mass systems. However, the other person argues that it is still appropriate to use in this situation, as the chain can be compared to a rocket where the mass also varies with time. The conversation also mentions the importance of properly defining the variables in the equation, and refers to additional resources for clarification.
NTesla
Homework Statement
A chain AB of length l is located in a smooth horizontal tube so that its fraction of length h hangs freely and touches the surface of a table with its end B . At certain moment the end A of the chain is set free. With what velocity will this end of the chain slip out of the tube ?
Relevant Equations
I've worked out the equation, but could somebody please let me know whether I've made any mistake or the equation is ok ? Also please let me know why the equation is wrong if it is wrong at any place.
1184.png

My solution: For the horizontal portion of the chain: let at any instant the length of chain inside the tube is x, and at that instant the chain in the tube is having a velocity v. Then, at any instant:

##F = \frac{\mathrm{d} p}{\mathrm{d} t}##

##p##= mass of the chain in the tube at the instant t, multiplied by its velocity at that instant, i.e ##v##.

mass of the total length ##l## of the chain = ##m##.

mass of chain inside the tube = ##\frac{m}{l}\times x##

velocity of the chain inside the tube = ##-\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} t}##

Now ##F= \frac{\mathrm{d} (mv)}{\mathrm{d} t} (General\;equation)##

##\therefore F= \frac{m\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} t} + \frac{v\mathrm{d} m}{\mathrm{d} t} (General\;equation)##

##\therefore## ##F = \frac{mx}{l}\frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} t} + \frac{vm}{l}\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} t} (In\;the\;present\;question)##For the hanging part of the chain(which is of length h):

##\frac{mhg}{l} - F=\frac{mh}{l}\frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} t}##

##\therefore \frac{mhg}{l}-\frac{mh}{l}\frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} t}=\frac{m}{l}\left ( x\frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} t}-v^2 \right )##

##\Rightarrow hg=x\frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} t}+h\frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} t}-v^2 ##

##\Rightarrow hg=-xv\frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} x}-hv\frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} x}-v^2##

Please let me know, if there is any mistake till here. If there is, then also let me know what is that mistake, and your reasoning.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting problem!
You only have gravity acceleration acting on ##h## length of chain of unknown linear density, but on a variable mass at the same time.
You are asked to calculate instantaneous velocity when mass reaches a minimum.

Likes Delta2
Whenever I see ##F=\frac{d(mv)}{dt}## I get suspicious. The trouble is that mass is neither created nor destroyed, so a nonzero ##\dot m## implies mass is being added to or removed from the subsystem to which the equation applies. This raises the possibility that that mass change is also transferring momentum.
If F is the tension at the bend in the tube and the horizontal portion has mass ##\frac{mx}l## then surely ##F=\frac{mx}l\frac{dv}{dt}##?

Likes Lnewqban and Delta2
In the equation:## F=\frac{mx}{l}\frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} t} + \frac{vm}{l}\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} t}##, there must be solid grounds for rejecting the second term of the expression on the right hand side. In the 2nd term on the RHS, v is NOT equal to zero, ##\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} t}## is NOT equal to zero. Then, based on what reasoning should the 2nd term on the RHS be neglected/cancelled.

Likes Delta2
NTesla said:
In the equation:## F=\frac{mx}{l}\frac{\mathrm{d} v}{\mathrm{d} t} + \frac{vm}{l}\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} t}##, there must be solid grounds for rejecting the second term of the expression on the right hand side. In the 2nd term on the RHS, v is NOT equal to zero, ##\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} t}## is NOT equal to zero. Then, based on what reasoning should the 2nd term on the RHS be neglected/cancelled.
You need to define what m refers to in ##\frac{d(mv)}{dt}##.
##F=\frac{d(mv)}{dt}## applies to a specified subsystem acted on by a force F. You cannot apply it with m=m(t) defined as the mass of the horizontal portion of chain at time t since that is not a fixed subsystem.
It is ok with m taken as the horizontal portion at a single instant of time. In the next dt, that portion accelerates from ##v## by ##\frac{F} mdt##, but ##vdt## of that length is now past the bend, so the momentum of the horizontal portion goes from ##mv## to ##(m+dm)(v+dv)=mv+v.dm+m.dv=mv+v.dm+F.dt##.
So if p=p(t) represents the momentum of the horizontal portion, ##\frac{dp}{dt}=v\dot m+F##, whence ##F=m\dot v##.

Section 6 of https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-momentum-impacts/ makes the same point.
Also, at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_laws_of_motion#Newton's_second_law, note where it states "Newton's second law is valid only for constant-mass systems".

Last edited:
Likes NTesla and Lnewqban
haruspex said:
You need to define what m refers to in ##\frac{d(mv)}{dt}##.
##F=\frac{d(mv)}{dt}## applies to a specified subsystem acted on by a force F. You cannot apply it with m=m(t) defined as the mass of the horizontal portion of chain at time t since that is not a fixed subsystem.
It is ok with m taken as the horizontal portion at a single instant of time. In the next dt, that portion accelerates from ##v## by ##\frac{F} mdt##, but ##vdt## of that length is now past the bend, so the momentum of the horizontal portion goes from ##mv## to ##(m+dm)(v+dv)=mv+v.dm+m.dv=mv+v.dm+F.dt##.
So if p=p(t) represents the momentum of the horizontal portion, ##\frac{dp}{dt}=v\dot m+F##, whence ##F=m\dot v##.

Section 6 of https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-momentum-impacts/ makes the same point.
##F= \frac{\mathrm{d} (mv)}{\mathrm{d} t}## is used in deriving rocket propulsion equations, in which mass varies with time, which is NOT a fixed system.
The part of the chain inside the tube is almost like a rocket(except having an engine of itself), being propelled by a constant force F(which is provided by the weight of the hanging part of the chain), and the mass of the chain inside the tube keeps on decreasing with time. So ##F= \frac{\mathrm{d} (mv)}{\mathrm{d} t}## is the most appropriate form of equation to be applied, in my opinion.
I still don't understand the reasoning behind not using this equation to begin with.

Likes Delta2
NTesla said:
##F= \frac{\mathrm{d} (mv)}{\mathrm{d} t}## is used in deriving rocket propulsion equations, in which mass varies with time, which is NOT a fixed system.
The part of the chain inside the tube is almost like a rocket(except having an engine of itself), being propelled by a constant force F(which is provided by the weight of the hanging part of the chain), and the mass of the chain inside the tube keeps on decreasing with time. So ##F= \frac{\mathrm{d} (mv)}{\mathrm{d} t}## is the most appropriate form of equation to be applied, in my opinion.
I still don't understand the reasoning behind not using this equation to begin with.
Yes, it can be used in rocket equations, but note e.g. at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsiolkovsky_rocket_equation#Most_popular_derivation:
"Newton's second law of motion relates external forces (
F_{i}\,
) to the change in linear momentum of the whole system (including rocket and exhaust)".
I.e. it takes rocket+unburnt fuel+exhausted fuel as a closed system, which therefore has no change in momentum. Thus, the change in momentum of a portion of fuel as it is exhausted is equal and opposite to that of the remaining vessel and fuel.
The flaw in your analysis is that you do not consider the momentum carried away by the 'exhaust', i.e. the mass that has moved around the bend.

Likes NTesla and Lnewqban
NTesla said:

Consider a fairly trivial example. Suppose you have a rod that slides through a pipe that is fixed on a horizontal table. Assume no friction anywhere. No external forces are applied to the rod other than the force of gravity and the normal force. So the rod slides with constant speed and there is no tension at any point in the rod.

Does the equation ##F = \frac{dp}{dt}## apply if ##p## denotes the momentum within the pipe?

1601222745011.png

Likes NTesla, haruspex, etotheipi and 1 other person
That is really quite an excellent example @TSny! I hope I don't spoil the fun for the OP, but the key is that the momentum inside some defined boundary can change either due to the action of a force, or mass crossing through that boundary! It is nicely described by applying the Reynolds' transport theorem,$$\frac{d\vec{p}_{\mathrm{sys}}}{dt} = \frac{d\vec{p}_{\mathrm{cv}}}{dt} + \frac{d\vec{p}_{\mathrm{in}}}{dt} - \frac{d\vec{p}_{\mathrm{out}}}{dt}$$Since ##\frac{d\vec{p}_{\mathrm{sys}}}{dt} = \vec{F}_{\text{ext}}##, and ##\frac{d\vec{p}_{\text{in}}}{dt} = \vec{0}##, then$$\vec{F}_{\text{ext}} =\frac{d\vec{p}_{\mathrm{cv}}}{dt} - \frac{d\vec{p}_{\mathrm{out}}}{dt} = \frac{d(m\vec{v})}{dt} - \frac{dm}{dt}\vec{v} = m\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}$$which in this case, is consistent with ##\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt} = \vec{0}## and ##\vec{F}_{\text{ext}} = \vec{0}##.

Likes Lnewqban
@NTesla , wrt to solving the chain problem, I recommend considering the whole moving part of the chain. It is easy to write down its mass and the force on it.

Likes TSny
TSny said:
Consider a fairly trivial example. Suppose you have a rod that slides through a pipe that is fixed on a horizontal table. Assume no friction anywhere. No external forces are applied to the rod other than the force of gravity and the normal force. So the rod slides with constant speed and there is no tension at any point in the rod.

Does the equation ##F = \frac{dp}{dt}## apply if ##p## denotes the momentum within the pipe?

View attachment 270096
The equation ##F = \frac{dp}{dt}## does apply, in the case you've mentioned, but since there is no external force in horizontal direction, and since there is nothing to slow down the velocity or to change its direction, therefore, p is constant. Thus, the equation ##F = \frac{dp}{dt}## is satisfied even if we take only the part of the chain inside the tube or even when we take the whole chain.

NTesla said:
The equation ##F = \frac{dp}{dt}## does apply, in the case you've mentioned, but since there is no external force in horizontal direction, and since there is nothing to slow down the velocity or to change its direction, therefore, p is constant.
If ##p## represents the momentum contained within the pipe, then ##p## is decreasing since the amount of rod in the pipe is decreasing.

Likes Lnewqban
TSny said:
If ##p## represents the momentum contained within the pipe, then ##p## is decreasing since the amount of rod in the pipe is decreasing.
Oh yes.. my mistake..

haruspex said:
@NTesla , wrt to solving the chain problem, I recommend considering the whole moving part of the chain. It is easy to write down its mass and the force on it.
Why only the moving part of the chain. The part which has come to rest on the table carried off some momentum which it imparted to the table and then it came to rest due to the impulsive force provided by the table. Should this part(which had carried off some momentum) not be considered while writing the equation. In all the answers to this question that I've seen online, all the solution have taken only the moving part of the chain into their equation. So, is there anything wrong in considering the whole chain (including the momentum carried off by the chain which is now at rest on the table) ?

Likes Lnewqban
NTesla said:
The part which has come to rest on the table carried off some momentum which it imparted to the table and then it came to rest due to the impulsive force provided by the table.
Yes, but I'm not suggesting working in terms of momentum. Just think of that mass and the force on it and calculate its acceleration.
If it helps your intuition, imagine that the chain is cut just above the table. Since the chain on the table has no effect on the rest of it, this cut doesn't alter how the moving part accelerates.

Likes NTesla
@haruspex The links provided by you in your earlier comments to the original question have been extremely helpful. Thank you so much..

But, I'm still wondering if the parts which carried off some momentum before coming to rest on the table should be included in the equations..

1. What is the purpose of analyzing velocity and force of a chain in motion?

The purpose of analyzing velocity and force of a chain in motion is to understand the movement and behavior of the chain in order to optimize its performance and ensure its safety. This analysis can also help identify any potential issues or weaknesses in the chain's design or operation.

2. How is velocity of a chain in motion measured?

The velocity of a chain in motion can be measured using various methods such as using a tachometer, optical sensors, or by tracking the movement of individual links using high-speed cameras. The measurement method will depend on the specific application and the accuracy required.

3. What factors affect the velocity and force of a chain in motion?

The velocity and force of a chain in motion can be affected by several factors, including the weight and length of the chain, the tension applied to the chain, the surface on which the chain is moving, and any external forces or obstacles acting on the chain.

4. How is the force of a chain in motion calculated?

The force of a chain in motion can be calculated using the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the chain, and a is the acceleration. This calculation can be further refined by taking into account factors such as friction and tension in the chain.

5. Why is it important to analyze the velocity and force of a chain in motion?

Analyzing the velocity and force of a chain in motion is important for ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the chain. It can help identify any potential issues or weaknesses in the chain's design or operation, and allow for adjustments to be made to optimize its performance. This analysis is also crucial for maintaining the safety of workers and equipment that may be affected by the chain's movement.