Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain lifting device

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    I'm looking for some input on the design of a lifting device.

The design is required to accurately lower lower a load of 400 metric tonnes through a height of 50m, return to the top of it's travel and lower the next load and so on. I'm currently thinking along the lines of a two-pronged tower arrangement with guide rails located inside of the tower. The power is supplied by heavy duty anchor chain on each inside side and a windlass-type pulley system at top and bottom.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to next steps to take?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2
    sounds like a crane, or a monorail
    Build some beams, with some cable, and size a motor and gearbox to your required torque
  4. Sep 2, 2010 #3
    Are you asking this for your own interest and curiosity, or do you really need one of these things? If you need one, then I suggest you Google a bunch of crane manufacturers. In fact, I suggest you do it even if it's just out of interest. You'll get some knowledgeable people very eager to talk with you and tell you about their great products.
  5. Sep 2, 2010 #4

Science Advisor

Hydraulic cylinders would work better seeing how you are trying to control 400,000 kg!

6. Sep 3, 2010 #5
    I'm also looking into hydraulic cylinder as a way to lift. Thinking of two working side by side to lift the load. What advantages do I gain over using chain?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook