Solving Chain Rule A(r,t) Problem

In summary, the problem is using the chain rule to prove the equation \dot{A}=\partial_t A+v_j\partial_jA_i. The confusion arises when the same index is used in the derivatives and the index is being implicitly summed over in part of the expression. This can be resolved by using the summation convention and using different indices for the derivatives and the variable A_i.
Confundo
Problem

Use the chain rule to proof
[tex]
\dot{A}=\partial_t A+v_j\partial_jA_i
[/tex]

Attempt at Solution

[tex]
\dot{A}=\frac{dA_i}{dt} = \partial_t A_i+\frac{dr_i}{dt}\frac{\partial A_i}{\partial r_i}

[/tex]

Obviously
[tex]
v_j = \frac{dr_j}{dt}
[/tex]

I'm puzzled where the v_j and partial d_j come in

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're talking about why the index is j and not i, the answer is simple. The problem is using the summation convention that a repeated index is understood to be summed over:

[tex]
v_j\partial_j \equiv \sum_j v_j\partial_j.
[/tex]

When you wrote

[tex]
\dot{A}=\frac{dA_i}{dt} = \partial_t A_i+\frac{dr_i}{dt}\frac{\partial A_i}{\partial r_i},
[/tex]

the index in the derivatives should not have been the same index on [tex]A_i[/tex], since it is confusing to have the same index appearing three times when it is being implicitly summed over in part of the expression. You should have written

[tex]

\dot{A}=\frac{dA_i}{dt} = \partial_t A_i+ \sum_j \frac{dr_j}{dt}\frac{\partial A_i}{\partial r_j} = \partial_t A_i+ \frac{dr_j}{dt}\frac{\partial A_i}{\partial r_j},

[/tex]

where the summation convention is being used in the last expression.

1. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a fundamental concept in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function made up of two or more simpler functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do you solve a chain rule problem?

To solve a chain rule problem, you first need to identify the composite function and its inner and outer functions. Then, you can apply the chain rule formula to find the derivative of the composite function. This involves taking the derivative of the outer function and multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function.

3. What is the purpose of using the chain rule?

The chain rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function that is made up of two or more simpler functions. It allows us to break down complex functions into simpler ones and find their derivatives, which is essential in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can the chain rule be applied to any function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any function that is a composite of two or more simpler functions. This includes functions such as polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions, among others.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using the chain rule?

One common mistake when using the chain rule is to forget to take the derivative of the inner function. It is also essential to correctly identify the inner and outer functions and apply the chain rule formula accurately. Another common mistake is to confuse the chain rule with other derivative rules, such as the product rule or quotient rule.