Solve Chain Rule Annoyance with e^-t^2 and y' = e^-t^2(y'-2ty)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for a given equation and using various equations and methods, such as the chain rule and product rule, to arrive at the expected solution. The conversation also includes tips on how to approach similar problems in the future to prevent potential errors.
bsodmike

Homework Statement

It is given that, [tex]\left(e^{-t^2}y\right)'=e^{-t^2}\left(y'-2ty\right)[/tex], which I am trying to work out.

Homework Equations

[tex]f'(t)=h'(g(t))g'(t)[/tex]

[tex](u\cdot v)'=u'v+uv'[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]f(t)=e^{-t^2}y=h(g(t))[/tex]

[tex]\text{let}\;g(t)=u=t^2\;\text{and}\;h(u)=e^{-u}y[/tex]

[tex]\text{thus}\;g'(t)=2t[/tex]

[tex]h'(u)=\left(e^{-u}y\right)'=e^{-u}\dfrac{dy}{du}-e^{-u}y[/tex]

Hence,
[tex]f'(t)=\left[e^{-t^2}y'-e^{-t^2}y\right]\cdot 2t[/tex]

This does not match the expected solution; your help would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
bsodmike said:
This does not match the expected solution; your help would be much appreciated!

Doesn't it? Try factoring out [itex]e^{-t^2}[/itex]

Cristo, the expected solution is,

[tex]f'(t)=e^{-t^2}y'-e^{-t^2}2ty=e^{-t^2}\left[y'-2ty\right][/tex]

Factoring out the exponent term from [tex]f'(t)[/tex], as obtained above,

[tex]f'(t)=\left[e^{-t^2}y'-e^{-t^2}y\right]\cdot 2t=e^{-t^2}2t\left[y'-y\right][/tex]

.i.e. we have 2t appearing on both sides?

I am essentially proving the following that I found in an online text,

http://stuff.bsodmike.com/ode_integration_factor.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I obviously didn't look at it correctly the first time.

Your problem is in your first line where you write f(t)=h(g(t)). Your working then doesn't work because you can't write f(t) as some function of t^2. Instead, try writing f(t)=h(g(t)).y(t), where g(t)=t^2 and h(g(t))=e^{-t^2}. Then apply the product rule first, and the chain rule to the appropriate term.

I seem to have figured it out. I left out something crucial earlier in changing terms from 'u' back to 't'.

[tex]h'(u)=\left(e^{-u}y\right)'=e^{-u}\dfrac{dy}{du}-e^{-u}y[/tex]

It can be seen from the earlier step that,

[tex]g'(t)=\dfrac{du}{dt}\rightarrow du=2tdt[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]h'(g(t))=\left(e^{-t^2}y\right)'=\dfrac{e^{-t^2}}{2t}\dfrac{dy}{dt}-e^{-t^2}y[/tex]

Which gives the expected result:

[tex]f'(t)=\left[\dfrac{e^{-t^2}}{2t}y'-e^{-t^2}y\right]\cdot 2t=e^{-t^2}\left[y'-2ty\right][/tex]

Last edited:
bsodmike said:
It is given that, [tex]\left(e^{-t^2}y\right)'=e^{-t^2}\left(y'-2ty\right)[/tex], which I am trying to work out.
[tex]f'(t)=\left[e^{-t^2}y'-e^{-t^2}y\right]\cdot 2t[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\big(e^{-t^2}y(t)\big)=\frac{d}{dt}(e^{-t^2})y(t)+e^{-t^2}\frac{d}{dt}y(t)=-2te^{-t^2}y(t)+e^{-t^2}y'(t)=e^{-t^2}(y'(t)-2ty(t))[/tex]

There's no 2t in the term that contains y'(t).

Edit: I guess I'm too slow.

Yup, you seem to have got it. My brain obviously isn't working at this time in the morning.. sorry about that!

Still, I'll give one piece of advice. You seem to have substituted du=2tdt into the denominator of the derivative. The precise way of doing this is to use the chain rule again, and write

[tex]\frac{dy}{du}=\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dt}{du}[/tex]

and then use

[tex]\frac{dt}{du}=\frac{1}{2t}[/tex].

This will prevent any potential errors in future.

Thanks Fredrik; I guess I would have arrived at that solution intuitively if I didn't try to actually apply the chain rule first (as per the attached image above).

:)

cristo said:
Yup, you seem to have got it. My brain obviously isn't working at this time in the morning.. sorry about that!

Still, I'll give one piece of advice. You seem to have substituted du=2tdt into the denominator of the derivative. The precise way of doing this is to use the chain rule again, and write

[tex]\frac{dy}{du}=\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dt}{du}[/tex]

and then use

[tex]\frac{dt}{du}=\frac{1}{2t}[/tex].

This will prevent any potential errors in future.

Thanks cristo; I was actually aware of that, but did not specifically state it since it is sort of understood. You're right though, safer to write that step down as well to prevent mistakes :) Thanks for your help!

1. What is the chain rule in math?

The chain rule is a rule used in calculus to find the derivative of composite functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivatives of its individual functions.

2. Why is the chain rule considered annoying?

The chain rule can be considered annoying because it can be complex and time-consuming to apply, especially when dealing with multiple nested functions. It also requires a good understanding of the basic derivative rules.

3. How do I know when to use the chain rule?

You should use the chain rule whenever you have a composite function, meaning a function within a function. For example, if you have a function f(x) inside another function g(x), you will need to use the chain rule to find the derivative of g(f(x)).

4. Can you provide an example of the chain rule?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = (2x+1)^3. To find its derivative, we can use the chain rule as follows:
f'(x) = 3(2x+1)^2 * (2) = 6(2x+1)^2. This is because we first take the derivative of the outer function (3x^2) and then multiply it by the derivative of the inner function (2x+1).

5. Are there any tricks to make the chain rule easier to apply?

One trick that can make the chain rule easier is to use the "inside-out" method. This involves starting with the innermost function and working your way outwards, taking the derivative of each function as you go. This can be especially helpful when dealing with nested functions. Additionally, practicing and understanding the basic derivative rules can make the chain rule easier to apply.