Applying the Chain Rule to Derivatives with Square Roots

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the derivative of a function using the chain rule. The process involves changing the square root to an exponent and then using the chain rule to solve for the derivative. The coefficient in front of the square root does not change in the derivative and must be kept in the equation.
TMNT
Chain Rule

Question is
Find the derivative of F(x)= 3 sq rt of x^3-1

First step I did was changing the Sq RT to (x^3-1)^3/2
Then I solved it by 3/2(X^3-1)^1/2*3X^2

Another problem very similar
F(X)= 3 SQ RT of X^4+3x+2

Step 1 (X^4+3x+2)^3/2
Then 3/2(X^4+3x+2)*4x^3+3

I know how to do the derivatives my only concern is that 3 in front of the square roots are throwing me off, I just want to know if I'm doing it right.

Physics news on Phys.org
so, your F(x) = 3*sqrt(x^3-1) ?

if so, F'(x) = 3*[1/2(x^3-1)^-1/2]*3x^2 = (9x^2)/(2sqrt(x^3-1))

Last edited:
It looks like you're trying to put the coefficient out front into the exponent, like saying 3*(x^1/2) = x^3/2, which it is not. With derivatives that coefficient just kinda stays put...

[tex] 3\sqrt{x^3-1} = 3(x^3-1)^{1/2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[3(x^3-1)^{1/2}] = \frac{1}{2} 3 (x^3-1)^{-1/2} 3x^2 = \frac{9x^2}{2\sqrt{x^3-1}}[/tex]

just like jth01 said: [tex] 3x^{1/2} [/tex] does NOT equal [tex] x^{3/2} [/tex]

Thanks guys.

1. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is the product of the derivative of the outer function and the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do you use the chain rule?

To use the chain rule, first identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function, leaving the inner function unchanged. Finally, multiply the derivative of the outer function by the derivative of the inner function.

3. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions. Many real-world problems involve composite functions, so the chain rule is a useful tool for solving these problems.

4. Can the chain rule be applied to any function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any function as long as it is a composite function. This means that the function is made up of two or more functions combined together.

5. How can I check if I have applied the chain rule correctly?

To check if you have applied the chain rule correctly, you can take the derivative of the original function using other derivative rules and compare it to the result you obtained using the chain rule. If they are the same, then you have applied the chain rule correctly.