Chain rule equation help

If we have an equation ##g (q,w) =f(q,-w)## and we want to find the derivative of that equation with respect to w, we would normally do $$\frac {dg}{dw} = \frac {d}{dw} f(q,-w) = \frac {df}{d(-w)} \frac {d(-w)}{dw} = -\frac {df}{d(-w)} $$ but my friend is saying that $$\frac {dg}{dw}= -\frac {df}{dw}$$ how is the last equation true?

Answers and Replies

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2021 Award
If we have an equation ##g (q,w) =f(q,-w)## and we want to find the derivative of that equation with respect to w, we would normally do $$\frac {dg}{dw} = \frac {d}{dw} f(q,-w) = \frac {df}{d(-w)} \frac {d(-w)}{dw} = -\frac {df}{d(-w)} $$ but my friend is saying that $$\frac {dg}{dw}= -\frac {df}{dw}$$ how is the last equation true?
Where has the minus in ##d(-w)## gone to? We have ## \frac {dg}{dw} =-\frac {df}{d(-w)}= \frac {df}{dw}\,.##

Make a simple example: ##g(w)=2\cdot w = f(-w) = (-2)\cdot (-w)\,.##

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
##\frac {dg}{dw} \ne \frac {d}{dw} f(q,-w)## - write them out using the definition of derivative

friend is right

##\frac {dg}{dw} \ne \frac {d}{dw} f(q,-w)## - write them out using the definition of derivative

friend is right

But how is ##\frac {dg}{dw} \ne \frac {d}{dw} f(q,-w)##? It is given that ##g(q,w) = f(q,-w)## so we just take the derivative of both sides?

Writing out the derivative we have $$\frac{g(q,w+\Delta w) - g(q,w)}{\Delta w} = \frac{f(q,-(w+\Delta w)) - f(q,w)}{\Delta w}$$ as ##\Delta w \to 0##

Last edited:
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2021 Award
But how is ##\frac {dg}{dw} \ne \frac {d}{dw} f(q,-w)##?
It is not unequal! If ##f=g## then ##\dfrac{df}{dw}=\dfrac{dg}{dw}\,.##

First we write ##f(q,-w)=f(q,h(w))## with ##h(w)=-w\,##. Then calculate again ##\dfrac{df}{dw}\,##.
Your friend set ##dw=d(h(w))=d(-w)## which is obviously wrong.

The confusion is due to bad notation, i.e. dropping the variables of the functions. Write it with ##h(.)## and do not drop them anywhere.

Last edited:
It is not unequal! If ##f=g## then ##\dfrac{df}{dw}=\dfrac{dg}{dw}\,.##

First we write ##f(q,-w)=f(q,h(w))## with ##h(w)=-w\,##. Then calculate again ##\dfrac{df}{dw}\,##.
Your friend set ##dw=d(h(w))=d(-w)## which is obviously wrong.

The confusion is due to bad notation, i.e. dropping the variables of the functions. Write it with ##h(.)## and do not drop them anywhere.

Ok, thanks for your replies. Why is BvU saying what he's saying?

friend is right

How is my friend right?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Make a simple example: ##g(w)=2\cdot w = f(-w) = (-2)\cdot (-w)\,.##

I'm having a bad night. My simple example:
$$g(w) = w = f(-w)$$ so ##g(1) = 1## and ## g(-1) =-1## and I was looking at ##f'## and ##g'## -- WRONG ! o:) o:)

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2021 Award
After I do that and get $$\frac{df}{dw} = \frac{df}{dh} \frac{dh}{dw} = -\frac{df}{dh}$$ what do I do, why did you rewrite it that way?
I rewrote it, because the minus sign at ##w## is the cause of evil here. By writing it as what it is, namely a function itself whose derivative affects the result, I minimize the chance of mumbo-jumbo and brooming it somewhere under the carpet. The situation is (forget the ##q##, esp. as nobody used partial derivatives here!):
##g(w) = f(-w)=f(h(w))## and ##d(-w) = d(h(w)) = -dw## hence $$\dfrac{dg}{dw}=\dfrac{df(h(w))}{dw}=-\dfrac{df(h(w))}{d(-w)}=-\dfrac{df(h)}{dh}=-\dfrac{df(w)}{dw}=\dfrac{df(-w)}{dw}$$

Likes AndrewGRQTF
I rewrote it, because the minus sign at ##w## is the cause of evil here. By writing it as what it is, namely a function itself whose derivative affects the result, I minimize the chance of mumbo-jumbo and brooming it somewhere under the carpet. The situation is (forget the ##q##, esp. as nobody used partial derivatives here!):
##g(w) = f(-w)=f(h(w))## and ##d(-w) = d(h(w)) = -dw## hence $$\dfrac{dg}{dw}=\dfrac{df(h(w))}{dw}=-\dfrac{df(h(w))}{d(-w)}=-\dfrac{df(h)}{dh}=-\dfrac{df(w)}{dw}=\dfrac{df(-w)}{dw}$$

Thanks a lot. I learned something important: not to forget about the argument of a function

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
$$\frac{d}{dw} f(q,-w) = \frac{d}{d(-w)} f(q,-w) \cdot \frac{d(-w)}{dw} = - f'(q,-w),$$
where ##f'(q,x) = (d/dx) f(q,x),## so ##f'(q,-w) = \left. f'(q,x) \right|_{x=-w}##

Basically, you just need to apply the chain rule to ##f(q,h(w))##, with ##h(w) = -w.##