Understanding the Chain Rule Equation: Explained with Examples

In summary: Applying the chain rule gives us $$\frac{d}{dw} f(q,h(w)) = f'(q,h(w)) \cdot h'(w) = - f'(q,-w),$$since ##h'(w) = -1## and ##f'(q,h(w)) = \left. f'(q,x) \right|_{x = h(w)} = \left. f'(q,x) \right|_{x = -w} = f'(q,-w).##
AndrewGRQTF
If we have an equation ##g (q,w) =f(q,-w)## and we want to find the derivative of that equation with respect to w, we would normally do $$\frac {dg}{dw} = \frac {d}{dw} f(q,-w) = \frac {df}{d(-w)} \frac {d(-w)}{dw} = -\frac {df}{d(-w)} $$ but my friend is saying that $$\frac {dg}{dw}= -\frac {df}{dw}$$ how is the last equation true?

Physics news on Phys.org
AndrewGRQTF said:
If we have an equation ##g (q,w) =f(q,-w)## and we want to find the derivative of that equation with respect to w, we would normally do $$\frac {dg}{dw} = \frac {d}{dw} f(q,-w) = \frac {df}{d(-w)} \frac {d(-w)}{dw} = -\frac {df}{d(-w)} $$ but my friend is saying that $$\frac {dg}{dw}= -\frac {df}{dw}$$ how is the last equation true?
Where has the minus in ##d(-w)## gone to? We have ## \frac {dg}{dw} =-\frac {df}{d(-w)}= \frac {df}{dw}\,.##

Make a simple example: ##g(w)=2\cdot w = f(-w) = (-2)\cdot (-w)\,.##

##\frac {dg}{dw} \ne \frac {d}{dw} f(q,-w)## - write them out using the definition of derivative

friend is right

BvU said:
##\frac {dg}{dw} \ne \frac {d}{dw} f(q,-w)## - write them out using the definition of derivative

friend is right

But how is ##\frac {dg}{dw} \ne \frac {d}{dw} f(q,-w)##? It is given that ##g(q,w) = f(q,-w)## so we just take the derivative of both sides?

Writing out the derivative we have $$\frac{g(q,w+\Delta w) - g(q,w)}{\Delta w} = \frac{f(q,-(w+\Delta w)) - f(q,w)}{\Delta w}$$ as ##\Delta w \to 0##

Last edited:
AndrewGRQTF said:
But how is ##\frac {dg}{dw} \ne \frac {d}{dw} f(q,-w)##?
It is not unequal! If ##f=g## then ##\dfrac{df}{dw}=\dfrac{dg}{dw}\,.##

First we write ##f(q,-w)=f(q,h(w))## with ##h(w)=-w\,##. Then calculate again ##\dfrac{df}{dw}\,##.
Your friend set ##dw=d(h(w))=d(-w)## which is obviously wrong.

The confusion is due to bad notation, i.e. dropping the variables of the functions. Write it with ##h(.)## and do not drop them anywhere.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
It is not unequal! If ##f=g## then ##\dfrac{df}{dw}=\dfrac{dg}{dw}\,.##

First we write ##f(q,-w)=f(q,h(w))## with ##h(w)=-w\,##. Then calculate again ##\dfrac{df}{dw}\,##.
Your friend set ##dw=d(h(w))=d(-w)## which is obviously wrong.

The confusion is due to bad notation, i.e. dropping the variables of the functions. Write it with ##h(.)## and do not drop them anywhere.

Ok, thanks for your replies. Why is BvU saying what he's saying?

BvU said:

friend is right

How is my friend right?

fresh_42 said:
Make a simple example: ##g(w)=2\cdot w = f(-w) = (-2)\cdot (-w)\,.##

I'm having a bad night. My simple example:
$$g(w) = w = f(-w)$$ so ##g(1) = 1## and ## g(-1) =-1## and I was looking at ##f'## and ##g'## -- WRONG ! o:) o:)

AndrewGRQTF said:
After I do that and get $$\frac{df}{dw} = \frac{df}{dh} \frac{dh}{dw} = -\frac{df}{dh}$$ what do I do, why did you rewrite it that way?
I rewrote it, because the minus sign at ##w## is the cause of evil here. By writing it as what it is, namely a function itself whose derivative affects the result, I minimize the chance of mumbo-jumbo and brooming it somewhere under the carpet. The situation is (forget the ##q##, esp. as nobody used partial derivatives here!):
##g(w) = f(-w)=f(h(w))## and ##d(-w) = d(h(w)) = -dw## hence $$\dfrac{dg}{dw}=\dfrac{df(h(w))}{dw}=-\dfrac{df(h(w))}{d(-w)}=-\dfrac{df(h)}{dh}=-\dfrac{df(w)}{dw}=\dfrac{df(-w)}{dw}$$

Likes AndrewGRQTF
fresh_42 said:
I rewrote it, because the minus sign at ##w## is the cause of evil here. By writing it as what it is, namely a function itself whose derivative affects the result, I minimize the chance of mumbo-jumbo and brooming it somewhere under the carpet. The situation is (forget the ##q##, esp. as nobody used partial derivatives here!):
##g(w) = f(-w)=f(h(w))## and ##d(-w) = d(h(w)) = -dw## hence $$\dfrac{dg}{dw}=\dfrac{df(h(w))}{dw}=-\dfrac{df(h(w))}{d(-w)}=-\dfrac{df(h)}{dh}=-\dfrac{df(w)}{dw}=\dfrac{df(-w)}{dw}$$

Thanks a lot. I learned something important: not to forget about the argument of a function

Likes fresh_42
AndrewGRQTF said:
$$\frac{d}{dw} f(q,-w) = \frac{d}{d(-w)} f(q,-w) \cdot \frac{d(-w)}{dw} = - f'(q,-w),$$
where ##f'(q,x) = (d/dx) f(q,x),## so ##f'(q,-w) = \left. f'(q,x) \right|_{x=-w}##

Basically, you just need to apply the chain rule to ##f(q,h(w))##, with ##h(w) = -w.##

1. What is the chain rule equation?

The chain rule equation is a mathematical formula used in calculus to find the derivative of a composite function. It is used when a function is composed of two or more functions, and allows us to find the rate of change of the outer function with respect to the inner function.

2. How do you apply the chain rule equation?

To apply the chain rule equation, you need to identify the inner and outer functions. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This can be written as (f(g(x)))' = f'(g(x)) * g'(x).

3. Can you provide an example of using the chain rule equation?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = (x^2 + 3)^3. The inner function would be x^2 + 3 and the outer function would be ( )^3. To find the derivative, we would first find the derivative of the outer function, which is 3(x^2 + 3)^2. Then, we would multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, which is 2x. So, the final derivative would be f'(x) = 3(x^2 + 3)^2 * 2x.

4. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions that are composed of multiple functions. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many real-world applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the chain rule equation?

Yes, some common mistakes when using the chain rule equation include forgetting to take the derivative of the outer function, incorrectly identifying the inner and outer functions, and making errors in simplifying the final derivative. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.