Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain rule for limits

1. Jul 18, 2005 #1
    I would like to prove a chain rule for limits (from which the continuity of the composition of continuous functions will clearly follow): if [tex]\lim_{x\to c} \, g(x)=M[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x\to M} \, f(x)=L[/tex], then [tex]\lim_{x\to c} \, f(g(x))=L[/tex].

Can someone please tell me if the following proof is correct? I am a complete newbie to writing proofs, so I might have made several basic mistakes.

The second postulate means that there exists a [tex]\delta _1[/tex] for which the following is true for all [tex]x[/tex] in the domain:

[tex]0<|x-M|<\delta _1\Rightarrow |f(x)-L|<\epsilon[/tex]

By substituting [tex]x[/tex] with [tex]g(x)[/tex] we get the following which is true for all [tex]g(x)[/tex] in the domain:

[tex]0<|g(x)-M|<\delta _1\Rightarrow |f(g(x))-L|<\epsilon[/tex]

The first postulate means that there exists a [tex]\delta[/tex] for which the following is true for all [tex]x[/tex] in the domain:

[tex]0<|x-c|<\delta \Rightarrow |g(x)-M|<\delta _1[/tex]

Thus, by transitivity:

[tex]0<|x-c|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(g(x))-L|<\epsilon[/tex]

QED

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You meant [tex]0< |f(g(x))-M|[/tex] of course.

It would be better to distinguish between the various "&delta"s: write [tex]\delta_1, \delta_2[/tex], etc.
    Also, it's not clear what "M" is. You started by writing |x-M| which should have been, from your statement of the theorem, c.

4. Jul 18, 2005 #3
    [tex]M[/tex] is defined as the limit of [tex]g(x)[/tex] when [tex]x \to c[/tex]. [tex]L[/tex] is defined as the limit of [tex]f(x)[/tex] when [tex]x \to M[/tex]. Both are written in the first paragraph of the first post. Intuitively, I'm trying to say that as [tex]x[/tex] goes to [tex]c[/tex], [tex]g(x)[/tex] goes to [tex]M[/tex]. But, because as [tex]x[/tex] goes to [tex]M[/tex] in [tex]f(x)[/tex], [tex]f(x)[/tex] goes to [tex]L[/tex], I say that as [tex]x[/tex] goes to [tex]c[/tex], [tex]f(g(x))[/tex] goes to [tex]L[/tex].
    In other words:
    [tex]\lim_{x\to c} \, f(g(x))=\lim_{x\to \lim_{x\to c} \, g(x)} \, f(x)[/tex]
    Thus I believe that my original statements are correct as written.

As for the deltas, I didn't give a subscript to the second delta because it is the "final" delta, i.e. the distance around [tex]x[/tex] in which all [tex]x[/tex], when given as the parameter for [tex]f(g(x))[/tex], give outputs which are less distant than [tex]\epsilon[/tex] from [tex]L[/tex].
    Just like in a proof of the sum rule you could finish with a line like [tex]\delta =\min \left\{\delta _1,\delta _2\right\}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?