Chain Rule for Pushforwards

In summary: So ## \alpha^* \omega =\omega(\alpha_*dx_1, \alpha_*dx_2,..., \alpha_*dx_n)## ## = \sum^{m}_{k=1} w_k[df_k(\alpha_*dx_i, \alpha_*dx_j)]_{ i < j} ## ## = \sum^{m}_{k=1} w_k[f_{kx_i}(\alpha(x))\alpha_*dx_i, f_{kx_j}(\alpha(x))\
sanad
prove that if ##g:Y→Z## and ##f:X→Y## are two smooth maps between a smooth manifolds, then a homomorphism that induced are fulfilling :## (g◦f)∗=f∗◦g∗\, :\, H∙(Z)→H∙(X)##
I must to prove this by a differential forms, but I do not how I can use them .
I began in this way:
if f∗ : H(Y)→H(X), g∗ H(Z)→H(Y) , f∗ H(Y)→H(X),g∗ : H(Z)→H(Y) (by de Rham cohomology) then f∗g∗(ω): H(Z)→H(X), f∗g∗(ω): H(Z)→H(X), now I want to show that (g∘f)∗(ω)=f∗(g∗(ω)),(g∘f)∗(ω)=f∗(g∗(ω)), (g∘f)∗(ω)=ω((g∘f))(g∘f)∗(ω)=ω((g∘f)).
but I do not succeed to finish the proof.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How would you start? What have you tried so far?
And chain rule is chain rule, so your question comes down to playing around with definitions and equations. You should tell us what you want to use.

Likes sanad
First of all: please embed equations in ## equation ##. Then leave a blank between : and H. The editor otherwise interprets it as an icon. Cp. https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

You have to tell us more about the notations you use and where your letters live in.
In my world I have ##(gf)_*(X) = D(gf)(X)=(D(g)(f(X)) D(f)(X)= g_* f_*(X)## with a vector field ##X## and I am done. So tell us your environment.

Last edited:
Likes sanad
Sanad, do you know how to pullback differential forms? We have a map f: X--> Y and an n- form w defined in H_n(Y) , how w is pulled back to H_n(X)? EDIT : This is just multi-linear algebra. Start with a 1-form, i.e., a linear map from X--> Y and find its dual map.

Last edited:
Likes sanad
@WWGD, can i take the map:# pci:R→S1# for my qeustion"
find an example of #ψ: C•→D•# co-chain map that exists :
#ψi:Ci→Di# is an surjective map (for i>=0) but #ψ∗: (H^k)(C•)→(H^k)D•)# is not a surjective map (for k>=0)? I want to check if an identity map or # pci:R→S1# map can be an example of surjective cochain map like in a question? if not , how I can find like this map? The difintion of cochain map in a booklet is: cochain map between cochain complex #⟨D∙,δ⟩# and #⟨C∙,d⟩# is a homomorphisim chains #ϕn:Cn→Dn#
(for n>=0) such as #δn◦ϕn=ϕn+1◦dn#
"?
Remark: #ψ∗=D(pci)#

Last edited:
sanad said:
@WWGD, can i take the map:## pc_i:\mathbb→ R \rightarrow S^1## for my qeustion"
find an example of ##ψ: C•→D•## co-chain map that exists :
##ψi:Ci→Di## is an surjective map (for i>=0) but ##ψ∗: (H^k)(C•)→(H^k)D•)## is not a surjective map (for ## k\geq 0##)? I want to check if an identity map or ## pci:\mathbb R→S^1##map can be an example of surjective cochain map like in a question? if not , how I can find like this map? The difintion of cochain map in a booklet is: cochain map between cochain complex ##⟨D∙,δ⟩## and ##⟨C∙,d⟩## is a homomorphisim chains ##ϕn:C_n→D_n##
(for n>=0) such as ##δ_n◦ϕ_n=ϕ_n+1◦d_n##
"?
Remark: ##ψ∗=D(pc_i)##
Hi Sanad, sorry for the delay. Please use double ##'s at each side to tag Tex.
Are you working with a specific choice of cohomology or you want an argument/example that is independent of the choice of cohomology? Also, I am not sure I understand what the map pci you refer to. Can you state it more explicitly?

This is kind of confusing because differential forms; cohomology in general, pulls back, aka is contravariant , and does not pushforward. Vector fields, under some conditions, push forward
Ok, let's do an example for pullback of a form by a map ##\alpha : \mathbb R^n \rightarrow \mathbb R^m ##. For definiteness, say ##\omega ## is a 2-form and ## m,n \geq 3 ## ( Aiming for an example that is meaningful but not trivial).

We have:
## \alpha:= (f_1(x_1,...,x_n), f_2(x_1,...,x_n),...,...f_m(x_1,x_2,...,x_n)) ## , say

##\omega = w_1dxdy +w_2dxdz+w_3dydz ##

Then ##
df_1 = f_{1x_1}(x_1,x_2,..,x_n)\frac {\partial f_1}{\partial x_1}+...+f_{1 x_n} (x_1,...,x_n) \frac{\partial f_1}{\partial x_n}...

df_k =f_{kx_1}(x_1,x_2,...,x_n)\frac {\partial f_k}{\partial x_1}+...+f_{k x_n} (x_1,...,x_n)\frac {\partial f_k}{\partial x_n} ...

df_m =f_{mx_1}(x_1,x_2,...,x_n) \frac {\partial f_m}{\partial x_1}+...+f_{m x_n} (x_1,...,x_n) \frac {\partial f_m}{\partial x_n} ... ##

1. What is the chain rule for pushforwards?

The chain rule for pushforwards is a mathematical rule used to calculate the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivatives of its individual functions.

2. Why is the chain rule for pushforwards important?

The chain rule for pushforwards is important because it allows us to find the rate of change of a composite function, which is often used in many real-world applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you apply the chain rule for pushforwards?

To apply the chain rule for pushforwards, you first need to identify the composite function and its individual functions. Then, you can take the derivative of each individual function and multiply them together to find the derivative of the composite function.

4. Can the chain rule for pushforwards be used for any composite function?

Yes, the chain rule for pushforwards can be used for any composite function as long as the individual functions are differentiable.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the chain rule for pushforwards?

One common mistake when using the chain rule for pushforwards is forgetting to apply the derivative to each individual function before multiplying them together. Another mistake is not correctly identifying the composite function and its individual functions.