Getting the Derivative of f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)]

• Thread starter dec1ble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the derivative of the function f(w)=ln[cos(w-1)] and the confusion surrounding the correct steps to obtain the answer of -tan(w-1). The correct use of the chain rule was emphasized and clarified, with the final answer being -tan(w-1).
dec1ble
I am presenting a problem in front of the class tomorrow and I am slightly confused on the steps for my problem. The problem is:

Find the derivative of the given function

f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)]

The answer in the back of my book shows the derivative is -tan(w-1) - but I'm my steps aren't giving that answer - could anyone show me the steps to use in order to get that answer? Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the cain rule for [tex] \frac{d}{dx} \ln u(x) [/tex]...?

Daniel.

well the derivative of (ln x) is 1/x

I didn't ask u that...Oh,DO NOT DOUBLE POST...!:mad:

I meant for a logarithm whose argument is a general function u(x),not the particular value u(x)=x...

Daniel.

hint: [tex] \frac{d}{dx} \ln u = \frac{1}{u} du [/tex] Now what is u?

Last edited:
see that's where I am confused...i believe i have to use the chain rule twice...but I am just confused on where to start and how to integrate in the ln

courtrigrad said:
hint: [tex] \frac{d}{dx} \ln u = \frac{1}{u} [/tex] Now what is u?

the u would be the cos(w-1) right ?

yes. now you have to find the dervative of u and multiply it by your previous result.

Th formula you hinted is incomplete,hence INCORRECT.Please,refrain from erroneous advice...

Daniel.

alright - so when i find the derivative of cos(w-1) - it will be -sin(1) - making the equation -sin(1)/cos(w-1), making -sin/cos = -tan(w-1) the answer

thanks for all your guys help - much appreciated

To clarify, [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\ln{u} = \frac{1}{u}du[/tex].

The "du" is very important...

Daniel... what formula were you referring to as incorrect?

There are 2 now:the first and the last.The correct one is:
[tex] \frac{d(\ln u)}{dx}=\frac{1}{u}\frac{du}{dx} [/tex]

Daniel.

Ah, I see now. Good point.

dec1ble said:
alright - so when i find the derivative of cos(w-1) - it will be -sin(1) - making the equation -sin(1)/cos(w-1), making -sin/cos = -tan(w-1) the answer

The derivative of cos(w-1) is not equal to -sin(1). An easy way for me to understand the chain rule is to say to myself "derivative of the outside times the derivative of the inside". What's the derivative of cos(x)? Now, when you have that, sub in x as w-1, then find the derivative of w-1.

dec1ble said:

You're on the right track thinking you need to apply the chain rule twice, but you applied it wrong. The derivative of cos(u) is -sin(u)*du

In this case, the u=(w-1), and the derivative of (w-1) is 1. You should have -sin(w-1)*1. Now you wind up with:

[tex]\frac{-sin(w-1)}{cos(w-1)} = -tan(w-1)[/tex]

1. What is the formula for finding the derivative of f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)]?

The formula for finding the derivative of f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)] is f'(w) = -tan(w-1).

2. Can you explain the steps involved in finding the derivative of f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)]?

To find the derivative of f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)], we use the chain rule. First, we rewrite the function as ln(cos(w-1)). Then, we take the derivative of the inner function, which is cos(w-1), using the chain rule. This gives us -sin(w-1). Finally, we multiply this by the derivative of the outer function, which is 1/w. Combining these steps, we get the derivative f'(w) = -tan(w-1).

3. Why do we use the chain rule to find the derivative of f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)]?

We use the chain rule because the function f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)] is composed of two functions - the natural logarithm and the cosine function. The chain rule allows us to find the derivative of composite functions by breaking them down into simpler functions and applying the appropriate rules.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the derivative of f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)]?

Yes, we can also find the derivative using the quotient rule. First, we rewrite the function as ln(cos(w-1))/1. Then, we take the derivative of the numerator, which is -sin(w-1). Next, we take the derivative of the denominator, which is 1. Finally, we use the quotient rule formula: (f'(x)g(x) - g'(x)f(x))/[g(x)]^2. This gives us the same result as using the chain rule.

5. What is the significance of finding the derivative of f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)]?

Finding the derivative of a function allows us to determine the rate of change of the function at any given point. In the case of f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)], the derivative f'(w) = -tan(w-1) tells us how quickly the function is changing at any particular value of w. This can be useful in various applications of calculus, such as optimization problems and related rates.