1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain Rule Help

1. Mar 3, 2005 #1
    I am presenting a problem in front of the class tomorrow and I am slightly confused on the steps for my problem. The problem is:

Find the derivative of the given function

f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)]

The answer in the back of my book shows the derivative is -tan(w-1) - but I'm my steps aren't giving that answer - could anyone show me the steps to use in order to get that answer? Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2005 #2

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Break it down:

Suppose have a function of x as u(x) and have the expression:

ln[u(x)]

Would you not, using the chain rule, take the derivative of the logarithm which is [itex]\frac{1}{u(x)}[/itex], then take the derivative of u(x) to get:

[tex]\frac{1}{u(x)}u^{'}[/tex]

Same dif with the cosine of a function right? Derivative is minus the sine of the function times the derivative of the function. In your case, it's nested three times (well w-1 is a function of w in which the derivative is just 1).

4. Mar 3, 2005 #3
    if i have [tex] \frac{d}{dx} \ln u = \frac{1}{u} [/tex]

then i find d/dx cos(w-1) = -sin(1)

then plug that into the u?

so 1/-sin(1) - then im stuck

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?