Solving Derivative of ln[cos(w-1)]: Need Help!

• Thread starter dec1ble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the problem is to find the derivative of the function f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)], and the answer in the back of the book is -tan(w-1). However, the steps used are not giving the same answer. The chain rule can be used to find the derivative of the logarithm of a function, and in this case, the cosine function is nested three times. The derivative of the cosine function is -sin(1), which can then be plugged into the derivative of the logarithm to get -tan(w-1).
dec1ble
I am presenting a problem in front of the class tomorrow and I am slightly confused on the steps for my problem. The problem is:

Find the derivative of the given function

f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)]

The answer in the back of my book shows the derivative is -tan(w-1) - but I'm my steps aren't giving that answer - could anyone show me the steps to use in order to get that answer? Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
dec1ble said:
I am presenting a problem in front of the class tomorrow and I am slightly confused on the steps for my problem. The problem is:

Find the derivative of the given function

f(w) = ln[cos(w-1)]

The answer in the back of my book shows the derivative is -tan(w-1) - but I'm my steps aren't giving that answer - could anyone show me the steps to use in order to get that answer? Thanks a lot!

Break it down:

Suppose have a function of x as u(x) and have the expression:

ln[u(x)]

Would you not, using the chain rule, take the derivative of the logarithm which is [itex]\frac{1}{u(x)}[/itex], then take the derivative of u(x) to get:

[tex]\frac{1}{u(x)}u^{'}[/tex]

Same dif with the cosine of a function right? Derivative is minus the sine of the function times the derivative of the function. In your case, it's nested three times (well w-1 is a function of w in which the derivative is just 1).

if i have [tex] \frac{d}{dx} \ln u = \frac{1}{u} [/tex]

then i find d/dx cos(w-1) = -sin(1)

then plug that into the u?

so 1/-sin(1) - then I am stuck

1. What is the derivative of ln[cos(w-1)]?

The derivative of ln[cos(w-1)] is -tan(w-1).

2. How do I solve the derivative of ln[cos(w-1)]?

To solve the derivative of ln[cos(w-1)], you can use the chain rule and the derivative of ln(x) = 1/x. First, rewrite the function as ln(cos(w-1)) = ln(u), where u = cos(w-1). Then, apply the chain rule to find the derivative: d/dw [ln(u)] = 1/u * d/du (u) = 1/u * d/du (cos(w-1)) = -tan(w-1).

3. Can I use the quotient rule to solve the derivative of ln[cos(w-1)]?

No, you cannot use the quotient rule to solve the derivative of ln[cos(w-1)]. The quotient rule is used for functions of the form f(x)/g(x), but ln[cos(w-1)] is not in this form. Instead, you can use the chain rule as explained in question 2.

4. Is there a simplified form for the derivative of ln[cos(w-1)]?

Yes, the derivative of ln[cos(w-1)] can be simplified to -tan(w-1).

5. Can I use the product rule to solve the derivative of ln[cos(w-1)]?

No, you cannot use the product rule to solve the derivative of ln[cos(w-1)]. The product rule is used for functions of the form f(x) * g(x), but ln[cos(w-1)] is not in this form. Instead, you can use the chain rule as explained in question 2.