1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain rule in Calc = Chain in Log?

1. Jun 5, 2003 #1
    I know in Logarithms loga b * logc d = loga d * logc b

and

loga b * logb c = loga c.

Chain Rule.

Now I read Calculus, I found out about the Chain rule, are they the same?? Looks like it. But because of my poor English reading, I couldn't understand the text. Can some one explain what Chain rule is?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2003 #2
    They are not related. if you have several functions as arguments to other functions like f( g( h(x) ) ), then the derivative of this is f'( g( h( x ) ) ) * g'( h( x ) ) * h'( x ) do you see the pattern? So for f(x) = 1/x and g(x) = ln(x) and h(x) = x2, f( g( h (x ) ) ) = 1/ln(x2) and the derivative would be -1/(ln(x2)2) * 1/(x2)*2x

4. Jun 9, 2003 #3

Dx

great website

chain rule
    Dx :wink:

5. Jun 11, 2003 #4
    So what is the derivative of n^x, suppose n is a real number, and x is an unknown. And power rule does not apply to this situation because x is not a real number.

6. Jun 11, 2003 #5
    let f(x) = nx
    ln f(x) = x ln n (take ln on both sides)
    f '(x)/f(x) = ln n (take the first derivative on both sides)
    f '(x) = f(x)*ln n = nxln n

PS
    1) ln is natural log (base e), only natural log can be used in differentiation.

2) d/dx ln f(x) = f '(x)/f(x)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook