1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain rule or Substitution rule?

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    Chain rule or Substitution rule???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It appears that a standard result in ODE is the following: if [itex] f(x,t) [/itex] is smooth enough, then the solution [itex]\psi(t)[/itex] to the initial value problem:

[itex] x(t)=x_{0}+\int_{0}^{t}f(x(s),s)ds[/itex]
    [itex]x(0)=x_{0}[/itex]

is continuously differentiable with respect to its initial condition (or a parameter in the problem), and that this derivative satisfies the following first variational equation:

[itex] \frac{\partial \psi(t)}{\partial x}=c +\int_{0}^{t}\frac{\partial f(\psi(s,x),s)}{\partial x}\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}ds[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

To obtain the second equation above one makes use of the chain rule applied to [itex]f(\psi(t,x),t)[/itex]. However, I am not certain we can always use this rule. Consider the following `f' function:

[itex] f(\psi(s),s)=\biggl(\frac{1-\int_{0}^{s}G(\psi(\xi))d\xi}{F(t)F(\psi(t))+\int_{0}^{t}G(\psi(\xi))d\xi}\biggl)^N [/itex]

where [itex]G[/itex] is a sufficiently continuously differentiable function, and [itex]N>2[/itex]. The question is how could I apply the chain rule to obtain a first variational equation as the one I presented above?

3. The attempt at a solution

No sure yet. I truly need help here as I've trying to understand this for a long time without any success...Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?