Stumped Calc Students: Can You Solve This Diff. Equation?

In summary, the problem involves finding the derivative of a complex function (y = \frac {(2x+3)^3} {(4x^2-1)^8}) and applying the quotient rule, chain rule, and power rule to simplify the expression. The correct answer is -\frac {2(2x+3)^2(52x^2+96x+3)} {(4x^2-1)^9}. However, there were some errors in calculating the derivative of the denominator, which led to incorrect coefficients. The correct derivative is -\frac {6(4x^2-1)(2x+3)^2 - 64x(2x+3)^3} {(4x^
Aresius
This is a problem that has stumped my entire class of Calc 1 students and two Calc 2 students.

[tex] Find \frac {dy} {dx}[/tex]

[tex]y = \frac {(2x+3)^3} {(4x^2-1)^8}[/tex]

I know that the answer is (from the textbook, but I don't know how it got there)

[tex] -\frac {2(2x+3)^2(52x^2+96x+3)} {(4x^2-1)^9}[/tex]

I'll attempt to show my work in the next post.

Physics news on Phys.org
First I took the derivative using the chain rule of both the numerator and the denominator and applied them into the quotient rule.

[tex]f' (2x+3)^3 = 6(2x+3)^2[/tex]
and
[tex]g' (4x^2-1)^8 = 256x(4x-1)^7[/tex]

Applying the quotient rule I get this

[tex]\frac {6(4x^2-1)^8(2x+3)^2 - 256x(4x-1)^7(2x+3)^3} {[(4x^2-1)^8]^2}[/tex]

I have no clue where they went from there...

g' is wrong, your coefficient in front of the seventh' power parenthesis should be 64, not 256.

There should be a "squared" in the (4x - 1) bracket on the right of the top line of the quotient, then it just cancels.

Aresius said:
First I took the derivative using the chain rule of both the numerator and the denominator and applied them into the quotient rule.

[tex]f' (2x+3)^3 = 6(2x+3)^2[/tex]
and
[tex]g' (4x^2-1)^8 = 256x(4x-1)^7[/tex]

Applying the quotient rule I get this

[tex]\frac {6(4x^2-1)^8(2x+3)^2 - 256x(4x-1)^7(2x+3)^3} {[(4x^2-1)^8]^2}[/tex]

I have no clue where they went from there...
As arildno said, your g' is wrong. Your denominator is [tex](4x^2-1)^{16}[/tex]
You can divide all the terms by a [tex](4x^2-1)^7[/tex]. After that, it's just some factoring and multiplication in the numerator.

I thought that because of the chain rule you have to take the derivative of the derivative of 4x^2 - 1 and multiply it by the others in sequence.

God I hate the chain rule...

I think I messed up g' more than I thought... You cannot touch the damn original function! :cry:

Last edited:
Did you get there now or still need help?

Wait, I already did that, never mind...

Ok am I on the right track here?

[tex]\frac {6(4x^2-1)(2x+3)^2 - 64x(2x+3)^3} {(4x^2-1)^9}[/tex]

You must take the derivative of 8x as per the chain rule and then multiply it into that term.

Am I right?

In that case I would have a 512 in front of that x, bleh

Yes, seems to be correct so far :smile:

Was that to my last post? Because I somehow doubt it :(

It was in referrence to
Aresius said:
Ok am I on the right track here?

[tex]\frac {6(4x^2-1)(2x+3)^2 - 64x(2x+3)^3} {(4x^2-1)^9}[/tex]
So you're doing ok so far.

But that I don't get, as per the chain rule you must first get 8 from g', then 8x from what was in the brackets, then another 8 from 8x. Multiply them together and you get 512x, why is it still 64x?

You have a bit too many 8's then ...

[tex]\left( {\frac{{\left( {2x + 3} \right)^3 }}
{{\left( {4x^2 - 1} \right)^8 }}} \right)^\prime = \frac{{6\left( {2x + 3} \right)^2 \left( {4x^2 - 1} \right)^8 - 64x\left( {4x^2 - 1} \right)^7 \left( {2x + 3} \right)^3 }}
{{\left( {4x^2 - 1} \right)^{16} }} = \frac{{6\left( {2x + 3} \right)^2 \left( {4x^2 - 1} \right) - 64x\left( {2x + 3} \right)^3 }}
{{\left( {4x^2 - 1} \right)^9 }}[/tex]

One comes from the power (x^8 => 8x^7) and the other one from (4x²)' = 8x, which gives 8*8x = 64x.

Yes, and then you must take the derivative of 8x and multiply that on because of the chain rule, right?

I thought that as long as you can take a rational derivative with the chain rule, you should.

[tex]8(4x^2-1)^7(8x)(8)[/tex] is how we do chain rule in class.

Perhaps I'm horribly mistaken and I've forgotten part of the rules of the chain rule...

We're finished at that point, no more 8's to multiply...

[tex]\left( {\left( {4x^2 - 1} \right)^8 } \right)^\prime = 8\left( {4x^2 - 1} \right)^7 \cdot \left( {4x^2 - 1} \right)^\prime = 8\left( {4x^2 - 1} \right)^7 \cdot 8x = 64x\left( {4x^2 - 1} \right)^7 [/tex]

Ah no, you have an 8 extra. The derivative of 4x² is just 8x; not 8x*8 since (4x²)' = 4*(x²)' = 4*2x = 8x.

Am I right so far in simplifying (using pascal's triangle and binomial theorem)

[tex]\frac {6(4x^2-1)(2x+3)^2 - 64x(8x^3+36x^2+54x+27)} {4x^2-1)^9}[/tex]

Yes, that is correct. You also could've factored out [itex](2x+3)^2[/itex] first.

The answer to the problem still has the (2x+3)^2 so I left it as it is, am I wrong?

It's not wrong but it'll be easier to factor it out. As you say, the factor is still there in the answer.

[tex]\frac{{6\left( {2x + 3} \right)^2 \left( {4x^2 - 1} \right) - 64x\left( {2x + 3} \right)^3 }}
{{\left( {4x^2 - 1} \right)^9 }} = \frac{{2\left( {2x + 3} \right)^2 \left( {3\left( {4x^2 - 1} \right) - 32x\left( {2x + 3} \right)} \right)}}
{{\left( {4x^2 - 1} \right)^9 }}[/tex]

Now work out everything in those last parenthesis.

Got it!

Thanks!

Great :smile:

It's sometimes easier to use substitution to organize yourself.

I know you don't think the derivative of [tex]4x^2-1[/tex] is 8*8x. Your problem was the same a lot of people have with the chain rule - once they get going, they don't know when to stop.

If you had broken it out as:

[tex]4x^2-1 = u[/tex] then you have two problems:

You need to find the derivative of [tex]u^8[/tex]

You need to find the derivative of [tex]4x^2-1[/tex]

I don't know why I thought this, but I thought as long as you had a term that could be counted as a function inside the original function, you should take it's derivative and multiply in series as per chain rule.

I think I see what you mean though, you only take derivative of what has not been derived already. The original function never changes.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a function to the function itself. It is used to model many natural phenomena, such as the growth of a population or the decay of a radioactive substance.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they allow us to describe and understand the behavior of complex systems. They are used in a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, biology, economics, and engineering.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type of equation. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. It is important to understand the properties and characteristics of the equation in order to choose the appropriate method for solving it.

4. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many real-world applications, such as predicting weather patterns, modeling the spread of diseases, and designing electrical circuits. They are also used in finance to model stock prices and in chemistry to study reaction rates.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving differential equations?

Practicing and understanding the concepts behind differential equations is key to improving your skills. It is also helpful to review and understand the different methods for solving them and to work through a variety of problems. Seeking help from a tutor or attending a workshop can also be beneficial in improving your skills in solving differential equations.