Efficient Composition of Functions for the Chain Rule Problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding smaller functions to compose with the given function y=\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}}. The options discussed were f(x)=\sqrt{x} and g(x)=x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}, which results in y=f(g(x)). However, it was mentioned that this method is inefficient and a more elegant solution is desired. Suggestions were made to use f(x)=\sqrt{x} and g(x)=\sqrt{x+f(x)}, or to rewrite g(x) as x+f(x+f(x)). Some clarification was needed on how these options would work.
dekoi
I have the function:

[tex]y=\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}}[/tex]

I need to find separate, smaller functions which will result in the composition of this function.

I tried but all I ended up with was:
[tex]f(x)=\sqrt{x}[/tex]
[tex]g(x)=x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]y=f(g(x))[/tex]

However, this is obviously a very inefficient way of finding the composition of this function.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
dekoi said:
I have the function:
[tex]y=\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}}[/tex]
I need to find separate, smaller functions which will result in the composition of this function.
I tried but all I ended up with was:
[tex]f(x)=\sqrt{x}[/tex]
[tex]g(x)=x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}[/tex]
Therefore, [tex]y=f(g(x))[/tex]
However, this is obviously a very inefficient way of finding the composition of this function.
Can anyone lead me in the right direction?
How about,
[tex]f(x)=\sqrt{x}[/tex]
[tex]g(x)=\sqrt{x+f(x)}[/tex]
then,
[tex]f(g(x)) = \sqrt{x + \sqrt{x}}[/tex]
[tex]g(f(g(x))) = \sqrt{x + \sqrt{x + \sqrt{x}}}[/tex]

I don't see how that works, Fermat.

If
[tex]f(x)=\sqrt{x}[/tex]
and
[tex]g(x)=\sqrt{x+f(x)}[/tex],
then

[tex]f(g(x)) = \sqrt{\sqrt{x + \sqrt{x}}}[/tex]

Right?
You are substituting [tex]g(x)[/tex] under the squareroot of [tex]f(x)[/tex].

If you're applying the chain rule, you'll always be going from the outside in. Can you
clarify what you mean by "obviously inefficient"?

It's inefficient because I'm splitting up my "big" function into a small function and another big function.

Shouldn't my composition functions all be small, simple functions?

Nothing like [tex]g(x)=x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

Fermat... how does what you told me to do work? I don't understand.

I think your way works fine. I have tried but can't find a more elegant way to make the composite right now. You have a simple [tex]f(g(x))[/tex] composite. That's easy to take the derivative of.

You could rewrite your g(x) as [tex]x + f(x+f(x))[/tex] if you wanted.

What is the chain rule and why is it important in function composition?

The chain rule is a fundamental concept in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It is important because it enables us to calculate the rate of change of complex functions by breaking them down into simpler components.

What is the most efficient way to compose functions for the chain rule problem?

The most efficient way to compose functions for the chain rule problem is to use the chain rule formula, which states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

How do I determine which function is the outer and inner function in a composite function?

The outer function is the function that is applied to the result of the inner function. In other words, it is the function that is on the outside of the composition notation (f(g(x))). The inner function is the function that is applied to the input of the outer function.

Can the chain rule be applied to functions of more than two variables?

Yes, the chain rule can be extended to functions of more than two variables. In this case, the partial derivatives of each variable are calculated and multiplied together to find the final derivative.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the chain rule?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using the chain rule include forgetting to apply the derivative to the outer function, mixing up the order of the functions, and incorrectly identifying the inner and outer functions. It is also important to simplify the function before applying the chain rule.