Chain Rule, second partials.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the chain rule to compute partial derivatives in a function with multiple variables. The user provides a solution for ws and wst using the chain rule, but is unsure if it is correct and asks for verification. The expert responds by pointing out a missing term in the wst calculation and provides the correct expression.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I'm curious to know if I'm actually doing this correctly.

Suppose f(x,y) is a function where x = p(s,t) and y = g(s,t) so that w(s,t) = f(x,y).

Compute ws and then wst

Homework Equations

Chain Rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

So! Let's compute ws first. Whenever I use a subscript I refer to the partial with respect to that variable.

[itex]w_s = f_x x_s + f_y y_s[/itex]

That was nice and easy... now for the hard part that I'm not sure of. Let's compute wst :

[itex]w_{st} = (f_{xx} x_t + f_{xy} y_t)x_s + f_x x_{st} + (f_{xy} x_t + f_{yy} y_t)y_s + f_y y_{st}[/itex]

I think this is correct, but with all the variables floating around I'm not entirely sure I didn't miss anything. I would appreciate it very much if someone could verify this for me as I don't want to have a 'blah' moment when my exam happens.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! It looks like you are on the right track with your solution. The chain rule is definitely the correct method to use in this situation.

For your calculation of wst, you have correctly included the terms involving the second-order partial derivatives (fxx, fxy, fyy). However, you are missing one term - the one involving the first-order partial derivatives of x and y. The correct expression for wst would be:

w_{st} = (f_{xx} x_t + f_{xy} y_t)x_s + f_x x_{st} + (f_{xy} x_t + f_{yy} y_t)y_s + f_y y_{st} + (f_{x} x_s + f_{y} y_s) t_s

Note that the last term in parentheses involves the first-order partial derivatives of x and y with respect to s, multiplied by the partial derivative of t with respect to s. This term is necessary because both x and y are functions of s, so their partial derivatives with respect to t also depend on s.

I hope this helps clarify your solution and good luck on your exam!

What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the product of the derivatives of the individual functions.

How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you need to identify the composite function and its individual functions. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function.

What is the second partial derivative?

The second partial derivative is the derivative of a function with respect to two different variables. It measures how much the rate of change of the function changes when both variables are changed simultaneously.

Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. This is essential in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, economics, and statistics.

What are some real-world applications of the chain rule?

The chain rule has many real-world applications, such as calculating the acceleration of a moving object, determining the rate of change in a chemical reaction, and predicting the growth of a population. It is also used in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function.