1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain rule, y^2'=2y*y'?

1. May 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    x2+y2=1
    I want to differentiate this equation. I know that the answer is 2x+2y*y'=0.

2. Relevant equations
    The chain rule.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand how you get 2y*y' from y2. Shouldn't it just be 2x+2y=0?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You're differentiating with respect to x right? Now lets apply the chainrule.

[tex]
    \frac{dy^2}{dx}=\frac{dy^2}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx}
    [/tex]

Can you work this out?

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  4. May 21, 2009 #3
    I think that I see it now. Is it....

2y=2y*y'*1?

That is pretty much a random shot in the dark, but I see how its 2y*y' because its dy2/dy.

5. May 21, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Sorry but how can you think you see it now when it's a random shot in the dark. It seems you don't really understand how the chain rule works. What is [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]?

No dy^2/dy=2y.

Do you understand the form I have written the chain rule in in my previous post. If not how do you use the chain rule usually?

6. May 21, 2009 #5
    I don't understand it, but thats what I was asking origianaly. Can you explain it since I don't get it? Understood everything up untill this.

7. May 21, 2009 #6

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Okay, to check your knowledge of the chain rule do you know how to differentiate, lets say [itex]\exp{x^2}[/itex]?

8. May 21, 2009 #7
    Yeah...........its 2x.

9. May 21, 2009 #8

Cyosis

Homework Helper

No it's [itex]2 x \exp x^2[/itex]. Either way if you have a composite function, f(g(x)) then [tex](f(g(x)))'=\frac{df(g(x))}{dg(x)}\frac{dg(x)}{dx}[/tex]. Have you ever seen this?

10. May 21, 2009 #9
    Yes, I have seen this. The composition Rule. I thought that exp meant example. What function is it. And for example sin(t)10=9*cos(t) right?

11. May 21, 2009 #10

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Hehe, no exp means the exponent e. The derivative of [itex]\sin^{10}(t)=10\sin^9(t) \cos(t)[/itex].

You can view y as a composite function in away as well since we are differentiating y with respect to x, y must be a function of x. Therefore we want to find the derivative of y(x)^2. Try to calculate the derivative now.

12. May 21, 2009 #11
    Something like put y2 in for x2 so its (y2)2 so its 2(y2), then what?

13. May 21, 2009 #12

Cyosis

Homework Helper

No apply the chain rule I have listed in post 8.

14. May 21, 2009 #13
    I'm lost. I have no idea what to do. I am trying but where does the other functions come from? I usually get everything really easily but then when I run into something like this i'm wondering around in the dark. Can you explain how the numbers work? Like how it all works out and why.

15. May 21, 2009 #14

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What Cyosis wrote in post 8 is the Chain Rule, using Newton's notation. There is no composition rule, althought the Chain Rule is used for finding the derivative of a function composition. In post 2 Cyosis used a different form of the chain rule, that uses Leibniz notiation.

16. May 21, 2009 #15
    But I still don't get it. This isn't a homework question. You guy can just explain it to me. I need to learn this to be able to continue with my study of calculus. I have tried but I fail to see where the composition part comes in. All I have is y2.

17. May 21, 2009 #16

Cyosis

Homework Helper

I am trying to find a form of the chain rule he recognizes.

Schlynn could you differentiate [itex]\ln x^2[/itex] with a method you're used to? Please show all the steps.

You differentiate y^2 with respect to x, not y! That's where the chain rule comes into play, it really is [itex]y(x)^2[/itex]. As for just explaining it, I am trying but just giving you the result won't do you any good.

18. May 21, 2009 #17
    Havn't learned the derivative of ln but pretty sure its e right? Because e is the inverse of ln. Like ln(ex)=x. Is is 2e?

EDIT:
    I reliase that that is wrong now. Because e is the derivative and anti-derivative of e.

19. May 21, 2009 #18

Cyosis

Homework Helper

If you haven't learned the derivative of the logarithm ignore my previous post.

Lets try it again another way!

We want to find the derivative of [itex]y(x)^2[/itex]. Make the substitution u=y(x), then using the chain rule [itex](y(x)^2)'=(u^2)'*u'=2u*u'=2y(x)y'(x)=2y*y'[/itex].

20. May 21, 2009 #19

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

But the trouble is, y is a function of x, and you want the derivative with respect to x. If you were differentiating with respect to y, it would be easy -- d/dy(y2) = 2y and you're done.

But what you want is d/dx(y2) which is not 2y.

To use a better example, let y = (cos(x))3. To get a y value, you have to start with an x value, then evaluate the cosine of that x value, then cube that value. When you take the derivative with respect to x, the chain rule takes the composition into account.

So dy/dx = d( (cos(x))3)/d( cos(x)) * d(cos(x))/dx

In words, the derivative of y with respect to x is the derivative of (cos(x))3 with respect to cos(x) times the derivative of cos(x) with respect to x.

So dy/dx = 3 (cos(x))2 * (-sin(x))

Is that any clearer?

21. May 21, 2009 #20
    I think this can help you http://www.calculus-help.com/funstuff/phobe.html" [Broken], I recommend you to watch the whole set of explanations, they are very clear :P

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook