1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain rule

1. Nov 26, 2005 #1
    Hi, I'm having trouble understanding the solution to a question from my book. I think it's got something to do with the chain rule. The problem is to prove the change of variables formula for a double integral for the case f(x,y) = 1 using Green's theorem.

[tex]\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_R^{} {dxdy} } = \int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_S^{} {\left| {\frac{{\partial \left( {x,y} \right)}}{{\partial \left( {u,v} \right)}}} \right|} } dudv[/tex]

The solution starts off by using some equation in the theory section allows for the following equality to be established.

[tex]\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_R^{} {dxdy} } = A\left( R \right) = \int\limits_{\partial R}^{} {xdy} [/tex]

Then it says x = g(u,v) and [tex]dy = \frac{{\partial h}}{{\partial u}}du + \frac{{\partial h}}{{\partial v}}dv[/tex].

I don't understand how the expression for dy is arrived at. The variable y is a function of u and v. I can't see a way to use the chain rule here. Can someone please explain how the dy part is arrived at?
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not a mathematician, but you have the integrand as xdy, and y is apparently equal to h(u,v) so dy = h_u du + h_v dv. Does that answer?
  4. Nov 28, 2005 #3
    It's just that I can't see how they got the expression for dy. I'm wondering if it is something similar to for example when you have y = x^2 then from that you get dy = 2x dx.
  5. Nov 28, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's just how it (the 'chain rule') works for d's, it's obvious, isn't it?
  6. Nov 28, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? That is the chain rule, in differential form. Perhaps you are more familiar with the chain rule as
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{{\partial h}}{{\partial u}}\frac{du}{dx} + \frac{{\partial h}}{{\partial v}}\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]
    From that, it follows from the definition of differentials that
    [tex]dy= \frac{dy}{dx}dx[/tex]
    so that
    [tex]dy= \frac{dy}{dx}dx = \frac{{\partial h}}{{\partial u}}\frac{du}{dx}dx + \frac{{\partial h}}{{\partial v}}\frac{dv}{dx}dx[/tex]
    [tex]dy = \frac{{\partial h}}{{\partial u}}du + \frac{{\partial h}}{{\partial v}}dv[/tex]

Notice that I have assumed that u and v are functions of x. The nice thing about differential form is that you don't have to assume any specific parameter.
  7. Nov 28, 2005 #6
    Ok I see how it's arrived at now. Thanks for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?