Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain rule

1. Dec 1, 2005 #1
    I understand hhow to use the chain rule for a simple 2 part composite function, however, I tend to have problems when it gets past that. Can someone please help me master these complex derivatives, or just a few quick tips would be nice

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2005 #2
    Are you talking about single variable functions such as: f_1(x), f_2(x), ...f_n(x), such that d(f_1(f_2(....(f_n(x)...)/dx=df_1/d_f2*df_2/d_f3*...*df_n/dx. Or are you talking about the sets of mulitvariable functions: (y_1y_2....y_n) such that y_i=f_i(u_1,u_2,....u_m), and (u_1,...u_m) such that u_i=h_i(x_1,...x_n)?
  4. Dec 1, 2005 #3
    single variable
  5. Dec 1, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

the number of compositions equals the number of factors in the derivative.

if you have three fucntions composed the derivatives is a product of three functions.

i.e. (fogoh)'(x) = f'(g(h(x)).g'(h(x)).h'(x).
  6. Dec 3, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

Here is a verbal aid: Count the of 's.

For example,

[tex]\tan\left( \sec \left( \sqrt{x^{3}}\right) \right) [/tex]

is read

"The tangent of the secant of the square root of the third power of x".

Each nested function is separated by an of,
    this, with practice, makes the composition of functions pretty clear. Note that some functions need to be read in a non-standard way for this aid to work (e.g. rather than "x cubed," we read it "the third power of x.")

The derivative of the given function is what?

That is,

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\tan\left( \sec \left( \sqrt{x^{3}}\right) \right) =?[/tex]
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?