1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain Rule

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1
    Question: Let
    [tex] Q = \sqrt{x^2 + y}e^t[/tex]​
    where (for t > or = 0)
    [tex] x = \sqrt{1 - e^{-2t}} [/tex]​
    [tex] y = 2 - e^{-2t} [/tex]​

Using the chain rule calculate dQ/dt, expressing your answer in as simple a form as possible.

My work so far

Subbing in values of x and y:

[tex] Q = \sqrt{1 - e^{-2t} + 2 - e^{-2t}}e^t = \sqrt{3 - 2e^{-2t}}e^t [/tex]

Now applying the product and chain rule:

[tex] u = (3 - 2e^{-2t})^{\frac{1}{2}} \left chain \left rule \Rightarrow u = z^{\frac{1}{2}} \left z = 3 - 2e^-2t [/tex]

[tex] \frac{du}{dz} = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{z}}, \left \frac{dz}{dt} = 4e^-2t [/tex]

So [tex] \frac{du}{dt} = \frac{4e^{-2t}}{2\sqrt{3 - 2e^{-2t}}} [/tex]

As for v, [tex] v = e^t, \left \frac{dv}{dt} = e^t [/tex]

So [tex] \frac{dQ}{dt} = \sqrt{3 - 2e^{-2t}}e^t + \frac{4e^{-t}}{2\sqrt{3 - 2e^{-2t}}} [/tex]

Is this right so far and can it be simplified further?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2006 #2
    Looks good to me. Theoretically you would want to remove the square root from the denominator and add the two expressions, but I personally don't see that that actually simplifies anything.

4. Mar 14, 2006 #3
    Thanks very much :smile:
  5. Mar 14, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While a perfectly valid technique, I think part of the point of this problem is not to do such a substitution.
  6. Mar 14, 2006 #5
    Hmm, i see, so would i just do the chian rule keeping x and y in, and then sub values in right at the end?
  7. Mar 14, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or maybe not even sub in the values at all -- the final result might (or might not) look nicer in terms of x and y!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?