Understanding Differentiability of Functions with Several Variables

In summary: And, being a polynomial, it is differentiable, of course.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of differentiability and its relation to linear functions and tangent lines. It also addresses the question of how to prove the continuity of partial derivatives for a given function.
asif zaidi
Hello:

These are not h/w problems but something from the class notes which I am not able to fully understand. I have two questions stated below

Question1
We are doing chain rule and function of several variables. To explain the prof has first explained about single variables and then gone to composite functions and vector functions. But since I cannot understand single variables, no point in going to other topics

Anyway the class note is as follows:

The differentiability of f at xo is equivalent to
( f(xo+h) - (f[tex]^{'}[/tex](x0)h) ) / h -> 0 i.e. the function f is approximated to first order by function x-> f(xo) + f[tex]^{'}[/tex](x0)(x-xo) (where x = xo + h)

The function h-> f(xo) + f[tex]^{'}[/tex](x0)h is a function of the form: a constant function (f(xo) + a linear map (f[tex]^{'}[/tex](x0)h). Such a function is called an affine function. Thus differentiability can be formulated as the statement: there is a linear map [tex]\phi[/tex]: R->R such that the affine function f(xo) + [tex]\phi[/tex](x-xo) is a first-order approximation to f at xo.

My problem is as follows
- it is the last line which states that differentiability can be formulated by the linear map. Can someone explain what the notes are trying to say. I have been on this for about 3 days and not able to grasp it

Question 2:
Not entirely related to this, but assuming you have a function f(x1,x2,x3) = x1x2x3 + x1*x3. How do I prove that it is continuously differentiable. If I prove that partial derivatives exist, will it prove that they are continuously differentiable.

Thanks

Asif

Physics news on Phys.org
Q1. It means if a function f(x) is differentiable at a point [itex]x_0[/itex], the linear function that best approximates f(x) at x_0 is [tex]g(x) = f(x_0) + f' (x_0) (x - x_0)[/tex] ie its tangent.

To say the differentiability of f at x_0 is equivalent to it being approximated by that tangent is somewhat of a circular argument however, as the function must be differentiable at x_0 to obtain f'(x_0) .

Q2) What do you mean by "continuously differentiable"? If you mean repeatedly or infinitely differentiable, then showing the first partial derivatives exist only shows that they are once differentiable. You must show all further partials also exist.

EDIT: Ahh from Hall's reply, it appears the question was referring to whether or not the partials are continuous functions in themselves. My bad for misinterpreting.

Last edited:
It just says that the function f can be approximated, close to x=a, by its tangent line at x= a. At x= 1, for example, if f(x)= x2, the f '(x)= 2x so f(1)= 1 and f '(1)= 2. The tangent line to the graph of y= x2, at x= 1, is y= 2(x-1)+ 1= 2x- 1. For values of x close to 1, y= 2x- 1 will give values close to x2: better than any other linear function.

Question 2: You are right- the fact that the partial derivatives exist does not mean they are continuously differentiable or that the original function is "differentiable". However, in this example, Your function is a polynomial. If you were to think of it as a function of one of the variables, say f(x)= abx+ bx, its derivative would be ab+b, which, being a constant, is continuous. That tells you that the original function has continuous derivatives.

1. What is the definition of differentiability for functions with several variables?

Differentiability of a function with several variables means that the function has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function has a unique tangent plane at each point, and the rate of change of the function along any direction can be determined.

2. How is the concept of differentiability different from continuity?

Continuity and differentiability are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. A function is continuous if it is unbroken and has no abrupt changes in its values. On the other hand, a function is differentiable if it has a well-defined slope or rate of change at every point in its domain. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, but a function cannot be differentiable if it is not continuous.

3. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not on its entire domain?

Yes, a function can be differentiable at a specific point but not on its entire domain. This means that the function may have a well-defined derivative at that point, but it may not have a well-defined derivative at other points in its domain. A function can also be differentiable on its entire domain, which means it has a well-defined derivative at every point.

4. How is differentiability of functions with several variables determined?

Differentiability of functions with several variables is determined by taking partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and checking if they exist and are continuous at a specific point. If all partial derivatives exist and are continuous, then the function is differentiable at that point. A function can also be differentiable if its partial derivatives exist and are continuous on its entire domain.

5. What are some applications of understanding differentiability of functions with several variables?

Understanding differentiability of functions with several variables is crucial in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to optimize functions, solve optimization problems, and model real-world phenomena. For example, in physics, it is used to calculate the rate of change of a physical quantity at a specific point, and in economics, it is used to determine the maximum profit for a given function.