Calculating df/dg with Chain Rule: Romeo's Guide

In summary: You answered a question with a question. (Granted that is what I did too.)I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be confusing. :smile: Let me think this through a little more. I didn't start with an answer in my head.If you're trying to find the derivative of one function with respect to the other function, then you should use the chain rule. However, if f is not a function, then the derivative equals 0.
romeo6
If I have two functions, f(x,y,z) and g(x,y,z), do I use the chain rule to calculate df/dg?

e.g. df/dg=df/dx df/dy df/dz

Cheers!

Romeo

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you really trying to find the derivative of one function with respect to the other function?

mjpam said:
Are you really trying to find the derivative of one function with respect to the other function?

Is that not possible?

If f is not a function g, then you derivative equals 0, if I'm not mistaken.

romeo6 said:
Is that not possible?

If I remember correctly, it is possible, but somewhat difficult.

But if f is a function for (x,y,z) and g is a function of (x,y,z) then surely that's possible. Probably I'm wrong if I have to ask about it.

romeo6 said:
But if f is a function for (x,y,z) and g is a function of (x,y,z) then surely that's possible. Probably I'm wrong if I have to ask about it.

Is there a way that you can justify this?

I'm just wondering if you have more than your intuition. :smile:

romeo6 said:
Hey, ex and x+1 are both function of x. What is the derivative of ex with respect to x+1?

mjpam said:
Is there a way that you can justify this?

I'm just wondering if you have more than your intuition. :smile:

You're right - just intuition. Which is probably failing me.

romeo6 said:
You're right - just intuition. Which is probably failing me.

What is your mathematical background? Are you learning (or teaching yourself) calculus right now?

Are you guys ignoring my posts on purpose :( ?

Amok said:
Are you guys ignoring my posts on purpose :( ?

No, but I think that if you're trying to make a point, it is best done explicitly. :smile:

Didn't I make my point explicitly? I'm not trying to sound like a douche or anything, I actually thought the same thing as romeo6 when I first red your question.

Amok said:
Didn't I make my point explicitly? I'm not trying to sound like a douche or anything, I actually thought the same thing as romeo6 when I first red your question.

You answered a question with a question. (Granted that is what I did too.)

Let me think this through a little more. I didn't start with an answer in my head.

Did you take a look at my first post in this thread?

Amok said:
Did you take a look at my first post in this thread?

I did. I just missed when I was reviewing the thread. Sorry. :frown:

mjpam said:
I did. I just missed when I was reviewing the thread. Sorry. :frown:

Chill, np. This threat got me thinking. Sometimes some concepts become so instinctive that thinking about them makes knots in your brain.

Amok said:

Upon further thought, this is not true.

Since f(x) and g(x) are both functions of x f(x) is, in some sense, dependent on g(x), because g(x)=f-1(x)). The thing that has to be kept in mind, is that, since nothing is specified about f or g, f-1 or g-1 may not themselves be functions, which means that their domains must be restricted in order for them to be differentiable.

However, with the proper assumptions made about f and/or g, the chain rule and the inverse function theorem yield:

[itex]\frac{d(f(g^{-1}(x)))}{dx}=\frac{df}{dx}\frac{1}{\frac{dg}{dx}}[/itex]

romeo6 said:
If I have two functions, f(x,y,z) and g(x,y,z), do I use the chain rule to calculate df/dg?

This really doesn't make much sense. You don't calculate the derivative of a function with respect to some other function, but you do calculate the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables. Here g is a function, not a variable, so df/dg is nonsensical.

For another thing, both functions here have multiple variables, so instead of df/dx, df/dy, and df/dz, you would be working with partial derivatives,
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}, \text{and} \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}[/tex]

Other notation for these partials is fx, fy, and fz.

Mark44 said:
This really doesn't make much sense. You don't calculate the derivative of a function with respect to some other function, but you do calculate the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables. Here g is a function, not a variable, so df/dg is nonsensical.

Except that is exactly what you do when you perform a variable transform.

What do you mean by variable transform?

What Mark44 said makes sense. If you want to derive something with respect to a function you need a functional.

Last edited:
I think what you're talking about is a matrix of partial derivatives, which is called the Jacobian. See Jacobian. If so, that's not the same as df/dg as in the original post. The matrix is made up of the partials of each variable in the first system with respect to each variable in the second system, so we're talking about a bunch of partials of variables, with respect to other variables.

Why does it not makes sense to define a derivative of a function with respect to another function?

romeo6 said:

Cheers!

Romeo

Have you done Calculus III (Multivariable calculus)?

Amok said:

I certainly wasn't ignoring you, however I found your next post valuable, with the example of taking the derivative of x^2 wrt e^x.

mjpam said:
What is your mathematical background? Are you learning (or teaching yourself) calculus right now?

I've taken plenty of calculus (believe it or not), it's been a few years now though, and I've not used it for a while.

Mark44 said:

For another thing, both functions here have multiple variables, so instead of df/dx, df/dy, and df/dz, you would be working with partial derivatives,
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}, \text{and} \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}[/tex]

This is a great answer (along with others).

Actually, I've started thinking about it in terms of orthogonal basis. Would you're base vectors not have to be orthogonal to take a derivative with respect to something else? If you started taking derivatives wrt a basis that was some function...well, that would be a bit of a nightmare.

chiro said:
Have you done Calculus III (Multivariable calculus)?

Yes. I've taken some grad math also.

romeo6 said:
I've taken plenty of calculus (believe it or not), it's been a few years now though, and I've not used it for a while.

I was just trying to gauge whether it would be appropriate to mention the set-theoretic definition of a function.

mjpam said:
Why does it not makes sense to define a derivative of a function with respect to another function?

I meant functional, it was a typo.

Mark44 said:

I disagree strongly with this- you always take the derivative of a function with respect to another function! In basic Calculus , of course, that second function is the identity function, x. But asking for the derivative of f with respect to g is just asking how fast f changes relative to g. If f and g are functions of the single variable, x, then, by the chain rule
[tex]\frac{df}{dg}= \frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{dg}= \frac{\frac{df}{dx}}{\frac{dg}{dx}}[/tex]

If f and g are functions of the two variables x and y,
[tex]\frac{df}{dg}= \frac{\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}}{\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}}+ \frac{\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}}{\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}}[/tex]

1. What is the Chain Rule and why is it important in calculating df/dg?

The Chain Rule is a mathematical rule that is used to calculate the derivative of a composite function. In other words, it allows us to find the rate of change of a function that is made up of multiple smaller functions. This is important because many real-world problems involve complex functions that cannot be easily differentiated without the use of the Chain Rule.

2. How do I use the Chain Rule to calculate df/dg?

To use the Chain Rule, you must first identify the inner and outer functions of the composite function. Then, you can use the formula df/dg = (df/dx)(dx/dg) to calculate the derivative. This involves finding the derivatives of the individual functions and plugging them into the formula.

3. Can you provide an example of how to use the Chain Rule to calculate df/dg?

Sure! Let's say we have the function f(x) = sin(2x). The inner function is 2x and the outer function is sin(x). Using the Chain Rule formula, we can calculate df/dg = (df/dx)(dx/dg) = (2cos(2x))(2) = 4cos(2x). This gives us the derivative of f(x) with respect to g.

4. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when using the Chain Rule?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to watch out for. One is forgetting to find the derivative of the inner function, or using the wrong derivative for the inner function. Another mistake is not properly simplifying the final answer, which can lead to incorrect results. It's important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work when using the Chain Rule.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in using the Chain Rule to calculate df/dg?

The best way to practice and improve your skills is to work on a variety of problems that involve composite functions. You can find practice problems online or in textbooks, or create your own problems to solve. It's also helpful to review the steps and formulas for the Chain Rule regularly to keep them fresh in your mind.