Solving dy/dt = 0: Chain Rule & y(t)

In summary, the chain rule cannot be used to determine that dy/dt*dt = dy because dy is not a derivative.
Joseph1739
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

dy/dt = 0, find y(t)

My professor told me that the chain rule is used to determine that (dy/dt)*dt = dy, but I just don't see it.

Multiply both sides by dt.
(dy/dt)*dt = 0dt
(dy/dt)*dt = 0
dy = 0, then integrating both sides:
y = C

dy/dt is the derivative of the function y in respect to t, and dt is just a small change in t. How is the chain rule used here? dz/dx = dz/dy * dy/dx makes a lot more sense to me, but I just don't see that here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't tend to explain that one with the chain rule or with the fundamental theorem of Calculus, but rather with the definition of derivative.

If dy/dt = 0, y(t) is a function whose derivative with respect to time is zero. Since derivative is the time rate of change, the derivative can only be zero (for all values of t) if the function y(t) is constant in time.

The only function whose derivative is zero at all input values is a constant.

Likes CrazyNinja
Dr. Courtney said:
I don't tend to explain that one with the chain rule or with the fundamental theorem of Calculus, but rather with the definition of derivative.

If dy/dt = 0, y(t) is a function whose derivative with respect to time is zero. Since derivative is the time rate of change, the derivative can only be zero (for all values of t) if the function y(t) is constant in time.

The only function whose derivative is zero at all input values is a constant.
That makes sense. Is the chain rule even applicable here though? dy/dt is not a fraction, so I don't see how you can multiply by dt then cancel the dt's. Then I don't believe dt is a derivative (isn't it a small change in t?), so how can the chain rule be used here? I don't want to struggle to do more complex problems in the future because I don't understand why dy/dt * dt = dy. I was able to find:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_(infinitesimal)
but I still don't understand how the dx's cancel.

You can think of dy/dt as the ratio of differentials dy and dt. Recall the limit definition of derivatives. Consider the numerator to be dy and the denominator to be dt. This allows things like:

dy/dt = -k*y (Given)

dy = -k*y dt (Multiply both sides by dt)

1/y dy = -k dt (divide both sides by y)

Integrate both sides to get

ln(y) = -k*t + C

Etc.

Dr. Courtney said:
You can think of dy/dt as the ratio of differentials dy and dt.
Often this works. Sometimes it does not.
"Multiply with dt" and similar are ugly transformations that can lead to the correct result, but mathematically those operations are not well-defined.

Let y=2x.
dy/dt=0
Multiply by dt? dy=0.
Divide by dx? dy/dx=0.
Oops.

mfb said:
Often this works. Sometimes it does not.
"Multiply with dt" and similar are ugly transformations that can lead to the correct result, but mathematically those operations are not well-defined.

Let y=2x.
dy/dt=0
Multiply by dt? dy=0.
Divide by dx? dy/dx=0.
Oops.
I'm not following here. If y = 2x, then the differentials involved would be dy and dx, not dy and dt.
##y = 2x##
##\Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = 2##
Multiply by dx:
##dy = 2dx##
Am I missing something?

What stops me to make a derivative with respect to a third variable t?
Write it as y=2*x + 0*t if you like.

mfb said:
Then you can only write ## \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} = 0 ## and we have ## \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\partial y}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} \frac{dt}{dx} = 2 + 0 \cdot 0 ##. I do agree with your fundamental point though: it is dangerous to treat ## dx ## as an independent entity that you can multiply and divide by as if it were a real number unless you have a firm grasp of the underlying analysis so that you know when that short cut cannot be used.

mfb said:

In post #5 you wrote this:
mfb said:
Let y=2x.
From this I infer that y is a function of an independent variable x. There was no mention of y also being a function of t. So without that additional information, taking the derivative with respect to t doesn't make any sense.

What is the Chain Rule and how is it applied to solving dy/dt = 0?

The Chain Rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a function composed of multiple functions. In the case of solving dy/dt = 0, the Chain Rule is used to find the derivative of the function y(t) with respect to t. This allows us to find the value of y(t) at a specific time point, given the initial value of y(t) and the equation dy/dt = 0.

Why is dy/dt set equal to 0 when solving for y(t)?

Setting dy/dt equal to 0 allows us to find the value of y(t) at a specific time point where the rate of change is constant. In other words, when dy/dt = 0, the function y(t) is not changing with respect to time. This is important in many scientific applications, such as finding the equilibrium point of a system.

Can the Chain Rule be used to solve for y(t) in any equation?

Yes, the Chain Rule can be used to solve for y(t) in any equation where the derivative of y(t) with respect to t is known. However, it is most commonly used in cases where dy/dt = 0, as this simplifies the equation and makes it easier to solve for y(t).

What are the limitations of using the Chain Rule to solve for y(t)?

The Chain Rule is limited in its application to equations where the derivative of y(t) with respect to t is known. In some cases, it may not be possible to find this derivative or the equation may be too complex to use the Chain Rule effectively. In these cases, other methods of solving for y(t) may be necessary.

How can the solution for y(t) be verified when using the Chain Rule?

The solution for y(t) can be verified by taking the derivative of the solved equation and confirming that it is equal to the original equation dy/dt = 0. Additionally, the solution can be checked by plugging in different values for t and confirming that the resulting values for y(t) are consistent with the initial conditions and the given equation.