How do I apply the product and chain rule to this equation?

• Thread starter Spectre32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chain
In summary, the conversation involves a problem that has been given with the equation dw/dt = w = r^2-s*tan(v), where r = sin^2(t), s = cos(t), and v = 4t. The question is whether it is necessary to derive all the values or if they can be derived in one line. It is also mentioned that the answer should be in terms of t and that there may be an error in the code. One person suggests using the chain rule and multiplying the derived values, while another person points out that there are no x's in the given equation.
Spectre32
OK I have this problem
Code:
dw/dt = w = r^2-s*tan(v)
And it gives the following:
Code:
r = sin^2(t)  s = cos(t) v = 4t

Soo...now Do i derive those still with respect to all those values? Or can i knock them all out in a line or two.

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't quite understand how dw/dt = w

perhaps you have made an error in your code

No it's right... I think it's just saying that They want your answer to be liek
W = 'xxxxxxx'

It is incorrect; period.
the only functions satisfying dw/dt=w is w(t)=Ke^t for some K.
This does NOT agree with the last equality.

Hmmm whoops... this is how the problem reads: Find dw/dt if
w = 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

Count the number of x's you've got, then UNLEASH the chain rule.

... There are no X's in that problem. As i said is it best to go through and derive them all at once or so i got to like derive and multiply what each value holds. Everything Must be in terms of t

Please be more careful in your notatiton!

Spectre32 said:
... There are no X's in that problem. As i said is it best to go through and derive them all at once or so i got to like derive and multiply what each value holds. Everything Must be in terms of t

You wrote:

"w = 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'"

I know what you meant, now; you should have explicitly written that this was a substitute for the expression given in post 1.

w = r^2-s*tan(v)

You know what each part is in terms of t...that is what everyone is saying...now just bust out the product and chain rule...you hsould get the answer

we almost have the same name...

1. What is Chain Ruled UNLEASED?

Chain Ruled UNLEASED is a mathematical concept that is used to calculate the derivative of a composite function, where one function is nested within another.

2. How is Chain Ruled UNLEASED different from the regular chain rule?

In regular chain rule, the derivative of a composite function is calculated by multiplying the derivatives of each individual function. In Chain Ruled UNLEASED, the derivatives are divided instead of multiplied, resulting in a simpler calculation.

3. What are the key components of Chain Ruled UNLEASED?

The key components of Chain Ruled UNLEASED are the inner function, outer function, and the derivative of the inner function. These components are used to calculate the derivative of the composite function.

4. What are some real-life applications of Chain Ruled UNLEASED?

Chain Ruled UNLEASED is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to calculate rates of change in complex systems. It is also used in machine learning and data analysis to optimize algorithms and make predictions.

5. Are there any limitations to Chain Ruled UNLEASED?

Chain Ruled UNLEASED may not be applicable in cases where the derivative of the inner function is equal to zero. In such cases, the regular chain rule or other methods may be used to calculate the derivative of the composite function.