Chain sliding from a sphere.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the acceleration when a thread holding a uniform flexible chain is burnt. The chain is resting on a fixed smooth sphere and one end is hanging freely. The force due to the hanging part is 0.5*u*g. The conversation also includes a calculation of the net force and net acceleration, but there are some errors in the steps. The correct approach is to start with g\int cos\theta dm, where dm is a small piece of mass of the chain.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

Refer to diagram for this question:
A uniform flexible chain of length 1.50 m rests on a fixed smooth sphere of radius [tex]R=\frac{2}{pi}[/tex]such that one end A of the chain is at the top of the sphere while the other end B is hanging freely. Chain is held stationary by a horizontal thread PA as shown in the figure. Calculate the acceleration when the thread is burnt.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am attempting the whole solution from my side. I have even got the final answer. But I am not sure of it. Please point out errors if any.

First I calculate the length of the cirumference of the sphere to know the part of the chain which is freely hanging. I assume that mass is uniformly distributed about the chain u kg/m
So the force due to the hanging part= 0.5*u*g

consider a very small sections of the chain with length dx. The dx*u*[tex]sin\theta[/tex] component is balanced by the Normal reaction.
Only the tangential force of each particle supports the motion along the boundary of the sphere. Therefore the total force supporting the motion:
[I am at present not considring the part which is hanging.]
[tex]ug\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0}dx cos \theta[/tex]
dx=r* d[tex]\theta[/tex] [I have doubt in this step, is it right?]
[tex]\frac{2ug}{\pi}\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0}d\theta cos \theta[/tex]
=[tex]\frac{2ug}{\pi}[/tex]

Net force=[tex]\frac{2ug}{\pi}+\frac{ug}{2}[/tex]
Net acceleration=Net Force/Mass of Chain
a=[tex]\frac{g(4+\pi)}{3\pi}[/tex]

Is this process correct?

Attachments

• Diag.JPG
    Diag.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 862
Physics news on Phys.org
You're close, but there are a few problems. It might help you to start a little farther back. Start with [tex]g\int cos\theta dm[/tex]. This is really the force on the part of the chain that is being around the sphere.. if you integrate correctly. You can also apply this formula to the part hanging down, but without the cos. dm is a little piece of mass of the chain. You need to get it into other terms (things that you can integrate more easily along a curve..)

What is a chain sliding from a sphere?

A chain sliding from a sphere is a physical phenomenon where a chain or rope is held taut at one end and allowed to slide off of a spherical object.

What causes a chain to slide from a sphere?

The chain sliding from a sphere is caused by the force of gravity acting on the chain as it is pulled downwards by the weight of the chain.

What factors affect the speed of the chain sliding from a sphere?

The speed of the chain sliding from a sphere is affected by several factors, including the weight and length of the chain, the slope of the sphere, and the force of gravity.

What are the applications of studying chain sliding from a sphere?

Studying chain sliding from a sphere has practical applications in engineering and physics, such as understanding the behavior of ropes and chains under tension and developing new technologies for lifting and hauling objects.

How can the motion of a chain sliding from a sphere be modeled?

The motion of a chain sliding from a sphere can be modeled using mathematical equations and computer simulations, taking into account the various forces and factors that affect its movement.