Net Vertical Force on a Slipping Chain on a Table

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of identifying the net force on a chain in a vertical direction when it is in an inverted "L" shape and hanging from a table. There is confusion over the description of the chain's position and the effects of horizontal velocity. The approach of considering tension and acceleration is suggested, but there is uncertainty about the force on the lowest part of the chain. Finally, it is concluded that the force on the vertical part of the chain can be treated the same way as an object falling to the floor.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=88740ac61059daf2af6c168fc3439a9e.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The initial shape of chain is like an inverted "L" with end B just touching the floor . Height of table is "h" .

My problem is in identifying the net force on the chain in vertical direction .At any instant of time there are three parts of chain , first on table , second hanging part of length "h" and third is lying on the floor in an unordered fashion .

The normal force on the first part is balanced by the weight of that part .

I think the normal force on the third part is not equal to the weight of the chain lying on the floor . What will be the vertical force on the second and third parts ?

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
The initial shape of chain is like an inverted "L" with end B just touching the table . Height of table is "h" .
I can't make sense of the description. If end B is hanging h below the table how can it be touching the table? And it does not say the height of the table is h.
Should the text say that end B just touches the floor?

haruspex said:
Should the text say that end B just touches the floor?

Yes .

Typing mistake .I will edit it .

Jahnavi said:
Yes .

Typing mistake .I will edit it .
Ok.
There is a second difficulty with the question. (I am assuming the chain lies straight on the table, not in a heap.)
In reality, the chain leaving the table will have acquired horizontal velocity, so will not descend vertically. This makes it extremely hard to analyse. To avoid that, the question ought to include some device to deflect the chain downwards at the edge of the table.
Glossing over that, what other approach can you think of instead of using forces and accelerations?

haruspex said:
what other approach can you think of instead of using forces and accelerations?

I don't think energy is conserved . Is it ?

Jahnavi said:
I don't think energy is conserved . Is it ?
Ah, right, forget that.
Consider the tension, T, at the edge of the table. What forces are the on the horizontal part? What acceleration results?
What about the vertical part?

Likes Jahnavi
haruspex said:
Consider the tension, T, at the edge of the table. What forces are the on the horizontal part? What acceleration results?

Just the tension T . T = (Mx/L)a . x is length on the table .

haruspex said:
What about the vertical part

This is what I am unsure about .Please read my first post .

The acceleration will be same as horizontal part .

What is the force on the lowest part of chain (just when it stops ) ?

Jahnavi said:
What is the force on the lowest part of chain
Do you mean the force from the part of the chain that has already landed? Why would there be any?

haruspex said:
Do you mean the force from the part of the chain that has already landed? Why would there be any?

There is a change in momentum of the lowermost tip . Wouldn't there be an upward force on the hanging part from the heap ? I don't know .I am not sure .

Jahnavi said:
There is a change in momentum of the lowermost tip . Wouldn't there be an upward force on the hanging part from the heap ? I don't know .I am not sure .
When an object falls to the floor, there is a force that brings it to rest, but there is no force the instant before it hits the floor. Treat the vertical part of the chain the same way, only include the section that has not quite reached the floor.

Likes Jahnavi
In that case , (Mhg/L) -T = (Mhg/L)a

Jahnavi said:
In that case , (Mhg/L) -T = (Mhg/L)a
Yes.

Thanks !

Why does a chain slip on a table?

A chain can slip on a table due to several reasons, such as uneven surface, lack of friction, or improper placement of the chain. It can also happen if the chain is not taut and has slack, allowing it to slide more easily.

What is the best way to prevent a chain from slipping on a table?

The best way to prevent a chain from slipping on a table is to ensure that the surface is clean and even. Adding a rubber mat or grip pad underneath the chain can also increase friction and prevent slipping. Additionally, keeping the chain taut and properly positioned can help prevent slipping.

Can the size or weight of the chain affect its tendency to slip on a table?

Yes, the size and weight of the chain can definitely affect its tendency to slip on a table. A heavier or thicker chain will have more weight and surface area, providing better friction and reducing the chances of slipping. However, a larger or heavier chain can also cause more damage if it does slip, so proper precautions should still be taken.

Is there a way to fix a chain that keeps slipping on a table?

If a chain keeps slipping on a table, it may be necessary to adjust the placement or tension of the chain. Adding a rubber mat or grip pad underneath the chain can also help to increase friction and prevent slipping. If the chain is damaged or worn, it may need to be replaced to prevent further slipping.

Can a chain slipping on a table cause damage?

Yes, a chain slipping on a table can cause damage to both the table and the chain itself. It can also cause injury to anyone nearby if the chain is heavy or sharp. It is important to take precautions to prevent slipping in order to avoid potential damage or harm.