1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chain velocity?

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1
    chain velocity??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A chain of metal links with total mass M = 6 kg is coiled up in a tight ball on a low-rriction table. you pull on a link at one end of the chain with a constant force F = 67 N. Evntually the chain straightens out to its full lenght L = 0.9 m, and you keep pulling until you have pulled your end of the chain a total distance d = 2.9 m, consider the point particle system. what is the speed of the chain at this instant?

i know in the point particle system the center of mass move 2.45 m. you still have the 67 N force ect.. but not sure how to find velocity? i know i can find acceleration using F = m*a
    but then what do i do with the a to find v? i know there is some relationship and when i look it up on google it does not explain it really well so hopeing you can.
    thanks for the help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2
    Re: chain velocity??

never mind i got it now.

it is
    v(final)^2 = v(inital)^2 + 2*a*d

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook