How do I use the chain rule for finding second-order partial derivatives?

In summary, the attempt at a solution for homework statement f is to find:- the second derivative of f with respect to the partial derivatives of f- the second derivative of f with respect to the partial derivatives of x and y
Felafel

Homework Statement

let u=f(x,y) , x=x(s,t), y=y(s,t) and u,x,y##\in C^2##

find:

##\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial s^2}, \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial t^2}, \frac{\partial^2u}{\partial t \partial s}## as a function of the partial derivatives of f.

i'm not sure I'm using the chain rules correctly, my ideas are a bit confused..

The Attempt at a Solution

1- write f as f(x,y)=f(x(s,t),y(s,t))

##\frac{\partial u}{\partial s} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x'(s)*x'(s,t))+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(y'(s)*y'(s,t))##
Thus, the second derivative:
##\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial s^2} = \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}(x''(s)x'(s,t)+x'(s)x''(s,t))+\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2}(y''(s)y'(s,t)+y'(s)y''(s,t))##

and then i apply the same for the other two second derivatives.
am i using the right formula?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the *?

just the multiplication sign :)

This is not quite right. When you write (∂f/∂x)(∂x/∂s) you do not have any further derivatives to take on x. Yes, there is a t in there, but when you are differentiating with respect to s, the t is regarded as a constant. There is no further chain rule to be applied.

Take a specific example to convince yourself of this, say f(x,y) = 2x + 3y; x(s,t) = ##s^2 + t^2## and y(s,t) = st, or anything else you want to make up. Write out f explicitly in terms of s and t. What are your first derivatives with respect to s and t? Now do it again without be explicit, instead using the chain rule.

Hopefully that will help clarify what derivatives go where.

Felafel said:
##\frac{\partial u}{\partial s} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}##
That's fine, but I don't think you can take this any further without information about the functions x(s,t), y(s,t).
##=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x'(s)*x'(s,t))+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(y'(s)*y'(s,t))##
That makes no sense. There is no defined function x(s), it's x(s,t). So x'(s) means nothing. x'(s,t) isn't defined either, because it does not indicate whether the derivative is wrt s or t.

haruspex said:
That's fine, but I don't think you can take this any further without information about the functions x(s,t), y(s,t).

Hi Haruspex,

One can formally specify the 2nd derivative, even without knowing what the functions are, and that is the question which was asked.

brmath said:
Hi Haruspex,

One can formally specify the 2nd derivative, even without knowing what the functions are, and that is the question which was asked.
I meant, you can't take the expansion of ∂u/∂s any further.

haruspex said:
I meant, you can't take the expansion of ∂u/∂s any further.

Don't see how one could since we know nothing specific about u. Happy Thanksgiving to you.

B

brmath said:
Don't see how one could since we know nothing specific about u. Happy Thanksgiving to you.

B

Right, but in the OP an attempt was made to do so.

thank you. so, apparently i can't be much explicit
i'll go for another try:
##\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial s^2}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s} \right)+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s} \right) = \frac{\partial ^2f}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial f \partial x}{\partial x \partial s}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial ^2x}{\partial s^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial y^2} \frac{\partial f \partial y}{\partial y \partial s}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial ^2 y}{\partial s^2}##
do i have to leave it this way?

Last edited:
no, sorry, I've just realized I've written nosense.
Here's what i computed:

##\frac{\partial f}{\partial s}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial s} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}##

##\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial s^2}=\frac{\partial}{\partial s}(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s})+\frac{\partial}{\partial s} (\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s})##
using the chain rule again i eventually get
##\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial ^2 x}{\partial s^2}+\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial y \partial x} \frac{\partial y \partial x}{\partial s^2}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial ^2 x}{\partial s^2}##

and without doing all the calculation again for ##\frac{\partial ^2 u }{\partial t^2}## and ##\frac{\partial ^2 u}{\partial t \partial s}## i can just replace the oppurtune s's with t's.

now it should be right..

Felafel said:
i eventually get
##\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial x^2} \frac{\partial ^2 x}{\partial s^2}+\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial y \partial x} \frac{\partial y \partial x}{\partial s^2}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial ^2 x}{\partial s^2}##
You're missing some terms. There should be five distinct terms, including components like ##\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial s }\right)^2##.
I've never seen this written: ##\frac{\partial y \partial x}{\partial s^2}##. I guess you mean ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}##

ok, now I've really solved it! I'm too lazy atm to copy it all but I'm finally confident about the result.
thank you a lot :)

haruspex said:
You're missing some terms. There should be five distinct terms, including components like ##\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial s }\right)^2##.
I've never seen this written: ##\frac{\partial y \partial x}{\partial s^2}##. I guess you mean ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}##

I also didn't get what you've got here, but glad you sorted it out. Keeping all the different variables straight is the issue, which is no doubt why you were assigned this problem.

Having done that, might I recommend that you tackle some problems with specific f, x,y and see if you can come to the right answers. A book with an answer section would be useful for you.

What are chained partial derivatives?

Chained partial derivatives refer to the process of taking the partial derivative of a function with respect to one variable, and then taking the partial derivative of that result with respect to another variable. This is often used in multivariable calculus to find the rate of change of a function with multiple variables.

Why are chained partial derivatives important?

Chained partial derivatives allow us to find the rate of change of a function with respect to multiple variables, which is essential in many areas of science and mathematics. They are particularly useful in optimization problems, where we need to find the maximum or minimum values of a function with multiple variables.

How do you compute chained partial derivatives?

To compute chained partial derivatives, we use the chain rule from calculus. This rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. This process is repeated for each variable in the function.

What is an example of chained partial derivatives?

An example of chained partial derivatives would be finding the rate of change of the volume of a cone with respect to its height and radius. This involves taking the partial derivative of the volume function with respect to the height, and then taking the partial derivative of that result with respect to the radius.

Where are chained partial derivatives used?

Chained partial derivatives are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are particularly important in fields that deal with multiple variables and optimization problems, such as fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and financial analysis.