Can I Chain Together Multiple Routers to Connect More Devices on One LAN?

• Thread starter FredT
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to connect 12 or 13 machines on one LAN, but networking devices with 12+ ports are expensive. They suggest using a 4 port router and connecting additional routers to it to get a total of 13 ports, but they are unsure if this would work. They are advised to use switches instead of routers, as they are cheaper and can be easily connected to a router. The person is grateful for the help and has found a solution to their networking dilemma.
FredT
I'm looking to get 12 or 13 machines all on one LAN. Unfortunately, it appears that 12+ port networking devices cost $$$$. Would it work if I were to take a 4 port router and plug another 4 port router into one of the ports, then another 4 port router into that one, and then another, to give me a total of 13 ports (considering the ports taken up by connecting the four routers)? I don't think routers work like that... please tell me I'm wrong. What should I do to overcome my networking dilemma?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes but with switches (or hubs) not routers - only the first one should be a router.
8 (or even 16) port switches are cheap, especially if you only need home networkign speeds

One router hooked up to a switch like this will work. And switches are very cheap. I got a 16 port switch 10/100 for $12 bucks.

netgear_gs748ts_48_port_gigabit_network_switch.gif

For some reason, all the switches I was looking at earlier cost a fortune. All set now, though. Thanks for the help guys!

for your question! Chaining together routers is a possible solution to your networking dilemma, but it may not be the most efficient or cost-effective option. While it is technically possible to connect multiple routers in this way, it can create a complex and potentially unstable network setup. Additionally, each router will have its own network address and may not be able to communicate with devices on other routers in the chain.

Instead, I would recommend considering other options such as using a network switch, which is specifically designed for connecting multiple devices on a LAN. Switches can provide more ports at a lower cost compared to routers. Alternatively, you could also look into using a wireless network or powerline adapters to connect your devices.

It's always important to carefully consider all options and potential drawbacks before making a decision for your network setup. I hope this helps and good luck with your networking!

1. What is the purpose of chaining together routers?

Chaining together routers is a way to expand the reach of a network by connecting multiple routers together. This allows for the creation of larger and more complex networks that can cover a larger area.

2. How do you physically connect routers together?

The most common way to physically connect routers is by using Ethernet cables. These cables can be connected directly from one router to another, or through a switch if multiple routers need to be connected.

3. What are the benefits of chaining together routers?

Chaining together routers allows for better network performance and scalability. It also provides redundancy, meaning that if one router fails, the network can still function through the other connected routers.

4. Are there any limitations to chaining together routers?

One limitation of chaining together routers is that it can increase network complexity and management. It also requires proper configuration and setup to ensure that all routers are communicating effectively.

5. Can different types of routers be chained together?

Yes, different types of routers can be chained together as long as they are compatible and can communicate with each other. However, it is recommended to use routers from the same manufacturer for easier configuration and management.