Can ergonomic chairs help alleviate lower back pain?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is centered around the topic of chairs and desks designed for individuals who suffer from lower back pain. Some recommendations and experiences are shared, such as the Herman Miller Aeron chair and the importance of adjustable lumbar support. Issues with desks not being suitable for petite women are also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the topic of sleeping on a hard surface and its effects on back pain.
pivoxa15
Anybody can recommend chairs designed for lower back pain suffers?

Some pics would be good and why they are useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have LBP or are you interested in designing chairs?

I like those mesh chairs too. The most important is to have an adjustable lumbar support, which many of the mesh chairs have, but few regular chairs do.

I got a high-backed Sealy office chair at Staples, with adjustable armrests and tilting back with adjustable lumbar support. Very comfortable.

We have those Herman Miller mesh chairs at work and I must say they are rather uncomfortable. It's so bad that I find myself perching off the front edge and it's killing my back, legs, neck and shoulders. I had wonderful chairs at my previous jobs, I guess I am just spoiled. It's the weird bump (rise) just before the seat edge that oddly raises your legs mid thigh then drops down that makes no sense and pulls the muscles in my back, so I end up sitting on the edge of the seat, which is very uncomfortable because of that bump. There seems to be no way to make the bump go away.

I have very long legs in proportion to my height and a short torso. I need a different type of chair.

Last edited:
My biggest problem isn't with the chairs, but with the desks. They're all sized for grown men, and not for us petite women. If I adjust the chair so I can comfortably sit with my feet on the floor, the desk is too high for comfortably writing, and the keyboard tray also too high for typing or mousing. If I adjust the chair up so I can comfortably reach the desk, my feet don't really touch the floor and my legs get uncomfortable (and leads to sore backs too). I need someone to chop the legs off my desk! Actually, if they'd just carpet the floor, give me a few pillows, let me lean against the walls, and work off a lap desk, I'd be a happy camper. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
My biggest problem isn't with the chairs, but with the desks. They're all sized for grown men, and not for us petite women. If I adjust the chair so I can comfortably sit with my feet on the floor, the desk is too high for comfortably writing, and the keyboard tray also too high for typing or mousing. If I adjust the chair up so I can comfortably reach the desk, my feet don't really touch the floor and my legs get uncomfortable (and leads to sore backs too). I need someone to chop the legs off my desk! Actually, if they'd just carpet the floor, give me a few pillows, let me lean against the walls, and work off a lap desk, I'd be a happy camper. :biggrin:
:biggrin: Same here. I had them install a keyboard tray below the desk, but it's still too high. The guy across from me is 6'6" and has the opposite problem.

Evo said:
:biggrin: Same here. I had them install a keyboard tray below the desk, but it's still too high. The guy across from me is 6'6" and has the opposite problem.

I once had a keyboard tray that could be adjusted for height, which was great for getting the keyboard where I needed it when I was typing. The problem arose when I pushed it back under the desk to store it away, and realized all the adjustment knobs then stuck out BELOW it, so that I would inevitably bang my knees or snag my pantyhose on the knobs. :grumpy:

Maybe we need to get the engineers here onto this project...an adjustable keyboard tray that is NOT in the way after you put it back under the desk.

The seat on my chair is not a mesh...more like a memory foam. It took me a while to get all the adjustments right, now it fits like a glove.
My desk was so out of the 60's, that I got rid of it right away. I use a mid-size confrence table, which is great, sometime I half to lay out a lot of photos and paper work.

hypatia said:
The seat on my chair is not a mesh...more like a memory foam. It took me a while to get all the adjustments right, now it fits like a glove.
My desk was so out of the 60's, that I got rid of it right away. I use a mid-size confrence table, which is great, sometime I half to lay out a lot of photos and paper work.
Sounds like you have a much nicer chair. I should insist on a Barca lounger.

Oh boy, I wouldn't want back pain that early in my life!

I bought the crappiest chair which ended breaking and I can sit on it for very long. It's just so uncomfortable. Speaking of uncomfortable, you should see my bed. I went from a luxurious mattress to a futon (the cheapest I can find) and it's rock solid. It's basically like sleeping on a blanket on a carpet floor. I would definitely not jump onto my bed.

I heard that sleeping on a hard surface is good for the back? Is that even true?

JasonRox said:
I heard that sleeping on a hard surface is good for the back? Is that even true?

Yes, from someone who have slept on both of them with back pain.

marcusl said:
Do you have LBP or are you interested in designing chairs?

former.

pivoxa15 said:
Yes, from someone who have slept on both of them with back pain.
But sleeping on something like a futon can cause back pain if you don't already have it.

There's a difference between a FIRM bed, and a hard, LUMPY futon. A little "give" is needed to make a bed comfortable, but should be firm enough to offer support too.

Moonbear said:
There's a difference between a FIRM bed, and a hard, LUMPY futon. A little "give" is needed to make a bed comfortable, but should be firm enough to offer support too.

True, I didn't read Jason's question carefully enough. Sleeping on the floor sounds painful. The comparison I had is sleeping on a thin mattress versus on a bed with 'springs' the standard beds in shops. The former is more comfortable.

For the chair I was thinkink of a kneeling chair. Has anyone tried it?

Yes, I have used a kneeling chair. It feels great for the back but not so great on knees, at least old ones like mine. When I was having LBP following a car accident, I alternated during my work day since sitting all day in regular chair was stressful. I spent maybe quarter to third of time in the kneeling chair.

There is another product that I can't recommend highly enough if you get LBP in your car. Modern car seats are a common problem for back sufferers because they are designed for "anti-dive" during a hard stop or front collision. They keep you from sliding off by rotating pelvis and putting your butt below your thigh. It's never a problem until an accident or blown disc gives you LBP.

If you suffer in car seats, check out McCarty's "Sacro-Ease". It's about $150, not cheap but works better than anything else on the market. Some back specialty stores will let you try it out for a day.

I used a kneeling chair for a bit to force myself to balance muscles in the abs and lower back. My problem with that was that I had been a distance runner and competitive downhill skier for years and followed that up with many years of working in pulp and paper mills on concrete floors. My knees essentially wore out - had arthroscopic surgery on both and ended up with arthritis. I could stand maybe 30-60 minutes of that chair at a time.

I have a bulging L5 disk and find the orthopedic chairs very uncomfortable. I like my 80$ chair from staples and it never bothers my back. I've had it so long I've even got an arse groove in it. However, I would love to buy one of those big expensive managers chairs for 400$ from staples, but I think I might spend most of my time sleeping then instead of studying.

1. What are the key features to look for in a chair for backpain suffers?

When searching for a chair to alleviate backpain, it is important to look for features such as adjustable lumbar support, proper cushioning, and adjustable seat height and depth. These features can help provide proper support and alignment for your spine, reducing strain and pain on your back.

2. Are there specific types of chairs that are better for backpain sufferers?

There are several types of chairs that are known to be beneficial for individuals with backpain, such as ergonomic chairs, kneeling chairs, and recliners. These chairs are designed to provide proper support and promote good posture, which can help alleviate backpain.

3. How important is the quality of materials in a chair for backpain suffers?

The quality of materials used in a chair can greatly impact its ability to provide relief for backpain sufferers. Look for chairs made with high-quality materials such as memory foam or supportive mesh, as well as sturdy frames that can withstand daily use.

4. Can a chair really help with backpain, or are other factors more important?

While there are other factors that can contribute to backpain, such as lack of physical activity and poor posture, a good chair can play a significant role in reducing backpain. It is important to address all contributing factors, but a supportive and ergonomic chair can greatly alleviate discomfort and promote proper spinal alignment.

5. Is it worth investing in a more expensive chair for backpain?

It is often worth investing in a high-quality chair if you suffer from backpain. A good chair can provide long-term relief and prevent future pain, making it a worthwhile investment for your health and well-being. Plus, many high-quality chairs come with warranties and can last for years, making them a cost-effective choice in the long run.