Chalkboards or Whiteboards: Which is Better for Clear Understanding?

• Thread starter gazzo
  • Start date
In summary: I have a lot of notes on it. But it helps me remember everything.Mine is pretty big. 6 x 4 feet.It has a marker rail or whatever you call it too. It's not a cheap board that bends too. Once it is installed, it is installed.I use my 3 x 2 when I do work on my bed. I set it next to myself so I can do a bunch of problems while not wasting paper. I also use a pen style marker so it doesn't take much space.The other thing that's good is that I do my homework on it. Once I get it, I write it down neatly on paper. It looks like I solved it with
gazzo
Hmmm,

I need to write things big where i can see them as a whole in order to understand them properly. :cry: I was thinking about buyin a cheap chalkboard second hand, do you people use them ?

Or whiteboards even.

Bah.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a bad idea. I sometimes squat a classroom if I want to work on something, so that I can use the blackboard. Usually, in the late afternoon, half the lecture rooms are unused, so I can use them at my discretion :wink:

I read somewhere that this physicist would get those huge sketch pads that artists uses and does his math in those. I thought about getting one myself.

I got myself a whiteboard in my room. I'll get a pic sometime and show you.

It is the same size as those in lecture halls/classrooms. I wouldn't recommend a chalkboard because they create lots of dust.

Also, don't settle for a 2 by 3 feet board. They might seem big, but they aren't. You can barely fit much onto it. I got one, but then I realized this, so I got a huge one.

Note: Mother works at the schoolboard, so I got it for cheap.

EDIT: Or do what Dimitri said. Most schools have study rooms that come with them to. Hell why not go to the local high school and ask them if you chill out over there.

blackboards are awesome to work on, if the chalk doesn't squeak.

Chalkboards and whiteboards are both great. When I was in college, we had both available, each of the kitchens had a whiteboard (one kitchen per floor) and the lounges had chalkboards on wheels. It was great to go work out a problem on those when you were really stumped with a chunky math problem. They were also great for working in study groups to work through problems together.

Whiteboards are less dusty, and I think look better, but you can make a cheap chalkboard - they sell spraypaint in most home hardware type stores that is for making a chalkboard right on your wall. Just tape off the area where you want a chalkboard and paint inside. You could probably put a border around it if you wanted it to look nicer, but if you're just looking for cheap and functional, no need.

JasonRox is right,
I have a 2ft x 3ft whiteboard in my room. Was going to use it for solving physics problems and such. Seemed like a good idea at the time...but it is a little too small.

Oh, if you're getting lots of direct sunlight on the whiteboard, make sure you erase it often otherwise the marker gets stuck on and you need to scrub the hell out of it to get it off.

When my college was replacing all the chalkboards with whiteboards, I was able to pick up a full 16 foot long chalkboard (with chalkrails included) for free. Since then, I've divided the chalkboard into 3 segments to make it more manageable in my room. Usually, when I work a complex problem, I'll do it on the chalkboard. Works pretty nicely.

graphic7 said:
When my college was replacing all the chalkboards with whiteboards, I was able to pick up a full 16 foot long chalkboard (with chalkrails included) for free. Since then, I've divided the chalkboard into 3 segments to make it more manageable in my room. Usually, when I work a complex problem, I'll do it on the chalkboard. Works pretty nicely.

16 feet! crikey!
dosn't the dust get to you?

gazzo said:
16 feet! crikey!
dosn't the dust get to you?

It's not too bad. I've always used dustless chalk, and it works rather well. The main thing with a chalkboard is to not wipe the board with your fingers or anything else for that matter - you need to only touch it with the chalk or an eraser. Otherwise, oil could build up on the board and make it hard to clean, and the dust can be stirred up.

I was just looking up whiteboards on ebay. Damn, are these thing expensive or what ! :eek:

Gokul43201 said:
I was just looking up whiteboards on ebay. Damn, are these thing expensive or what ! :eek:

That's why you need to know people.

Mine is pretty big. 6 x 4 feet.

It has a marker rail or whatever you call it too. It's not a cheap board that bends too. Once it is installed, it is installed.

I use my 3 x 2 when I do work on my bed. I set it next to myself so I can do a bunch of problems while not wasting paper. I also use a pen style marker so it doesn't take much space.

The other thing that's good is that I do my homework on it. Once I get it, I write it down neatly on paper. It looks like I solved it with no problems! :bugeye:

JasonRox said:
That's why you need to know people.

Mine is pretty big. 6 x 4 feet.

It has a marker rail or whatever you call it too. It's not a cheap board that bends too. Once it is installed, it is installed.

I use my 3 x 2 when I do work on my bed. I set it next to myself so I can do a bunch of problems while not wasting paper. I also use a pen style marker so it doesn't take much space.

The other thing that's good is that I do my homework on it. Once I get it, I write it down neatly on paper. It looks like I solved it with no problems! :bugeye:

I need to get me one of each those...or five of the 3x2 which would be exactly the same amount of whiteboard space...*plans shopping trip*

edit: OMG...$100 for a 3x2...am i looking at the wrong place or something?

http://www.whiteboardsetc.com/ProRiteMagneticMarkerboard.htm [/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
franznietzsche said:
I need to get me one of each those...or five of the 3x2 which would be exactly the same amount of whiteboard space...*plans shopping trip*

edit: OMG...$100 for a 3x2...am i looking at the wrong place or something?

http://www.whiteboardsetc.com/ProRiteMagneticMarkerboard.htm [/URL][/QUOTE]

Holy crap! Well, I got my 3x2 from Staples/Business Depot. Including a set of 4 markers and an eraser, I think it came to a total of around $40 Canadian, so ~$30 USD. That's not so bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
~$30-40.

To get one that is bigger, well the price goes up fast. For a 6-4 feet, regular price is anywhere from $300-500.

JasonRox said:
To get one that is bigger, well the price goes up fast. For a 6-4 feet, regular price is anywhere from $300-500.

Dang. I still say to get a huge sketch pad that artists use instead.

I didn't pay anywhere that price, but whatever floats your boat.

I probably saved so much paper. I can't imagine how much paper I saved.

Many engineering workplaces have tables with whiteboard tops. The tables are about 4 feet in diameter, and the entire top is one big whiteboard. I love them! It kinda makes me feel like a kid again, scrawling all over the desk.

- Warren

The green surface of a chalkboard is actually a paint. YOu can find this paint at many "big box" stores like Home Despot. School chalkboards are painted onto steel, but you can paint on wood. Trouble is in getting a smooth surface.

BTW, does anyone use grease pencils on glass? or is this only done in movies? (Good Will Hunting, Beautiful Mind, eg)

Chi Meson said:
BTW, does anyone use grease pencils on glass? or is this only done in movies? (Good Will Hunting, Beautiful Mind, eg)

It also works well on metal, like stainless steel.

The only problem with glass is that you see through it. It would give you a headache after awhile.

If you want to impress people with your "high-tech" room, use the grease pencil and glass.

JasonRox said:
I probably saved so much paper. I can't imagine how much paper I saved.

Not to mention the pencils/lead that you could save, also. When I started doing math seriously, I've used nothing but mechanical pencils. I love those things!

One of my professors, in his office, has a small dry erase board. I've never seen him use it, but there's always something on there.

Did anyone ever read the biography of Ramanujan? It's called The Man who knew Infinity, and it describes how, in his teens, he would sit on the front porch of his family home with three slates in his lap. He had taught himself to erase with his elbow so he didn't have to stop his math writing to do that. He worked with an old second rate do-it-yourself higher math book from England, and developed past it by doing the math on those slates.

selfAdjoint said:
Did anyone ever read the biography of Ramanujan? It's called The Man who knew Infinity, and it describes how, in his teens, he would sit on the front porch of his family home with three slates in his lap. He had taught himself to erase with his elbow so he didn't have to stop his math writing to do that. He worked with an old second rate do-it-yourself higher math book from England, and developed past it by doing the math on those slates.

Sounds like an interesting book. I should probably check it out.

Let me think:
100 sheets of paper (x 10, for 1000 sheets) + a pencil + eraser = $5
6x4 whiteboard = $200

Hm... let's see... tough decision

deltabourne said:
Let me think:
100 sheets of paper (x 10, for 1000 sheets) + a pencil + eraser = $5
6x4 whiteboard = $200

Hm... let's see... tough decision

A mess... no mess.

Hmm... let's see.

A pile of paper to remind you that it took you this many papers to complete a simple problem.

A blank whiteboard to remind you that you did the question in your head instantaneously as you read the question. :biggrin:

JasonRox said:
A pile of paper to remind you that it took you this many papers to complete a simple problem.

At least this way you'll never go cold. :biggrin:

What is the main difference between chalkboards and whiteboards?

The main difference between chalkboards and whiteboards is the material used to write on them. Chalkboards use chalk while whiteboards use dry erase markers.

Which one is better for clear understanding?

It ultimately depends on personal preference and the subject being taught. Some people find that the contrast of white markers on a dark chalkboard is easier to read, while others prefer the bright colors of whiteboard markers.

What are the advantages of using a chalkboard?

Chalkboards are more affordable and readily available than whiteboards. They also do not require any special cleaning supplies and can easily be erased with a damp cloth.

What are the advantages of using a whiteboard?

Whiteboards allow for more vibrant and colorful writing, making it easier to differentiate between different points or ideas. They also do not produce dust like chalkboards do, making them a cleaner option.

Which one is more environmentally friendly?

In terms of sustainability, both chalkboards and whiteboards have their pros and cons. Chalkboards can be reused for a longer period of time, but they also produce more waste in the form of chalk dust. Whiteboards, on the other hand, use markers that can be refilled, but the boards themselves are made of non-biodegradable materials.