Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Challenge me…

1. Aug 31, 2004 #1

GENIERE

Science Advisor

To find an issue of some importance that Kerry has not been “for and against”.

You provide the “flip”, I’ll provide the “flop”.

For instance re: "war on terror", you provide (include reference):

‘…It’s basically a manhunt…’

I’ll provide:

‘…This war isn’t just a manhunt…’

Total score: Flip - 1 No flip - 0

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2004 #2

Gza

An easy one, just to get you warmed up :smile: .

4. Aug 31, 2004 #3

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Thank you, but I think they'll all be easy.

“In 2004, Kerry Denied Ever Having Called Affirmative Action “Divisive.” CNN’s KELLY WALLACE: “We caught up with the Senator, who said he never called affirmative action divisive, and accused Clark of playing politics.” SEN. KERRY: “That’s not what I said. I said there are people who believe that. And I said mend it, don’t end it… (CNN’s “Inside Politics,” 1/30/04)

Total score: Flip - 2 Flop - 0

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  5. Aug 31, 2004 #4
    John Kerry, not only is he inconsistant, can't stay with a conviction for any amount of time, does whatever is popular at the moment, but he's also THE MOST LIBERAL MEMBER OF THE SENATE AND WAY OUTSIDE THE MAINSTREAM...

Ok, here's some that's pretty consistant with Kerry: he's not George W. Bush.

6. Aug 31, 2004 #5
    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/aug2004/kerr-a12.shtml
    FLIP - 3 ??

7. Aug 31, 2004 #6
    *patiently waits for Njorl's response*

8. Sep 1, 2004 #7

GENIERE

Science Advisor

You might have me on that one, he only wishes he were. Sorry can’t use it w/o reference.
    Typical anti-Bush sentiments. I have sympathy for the democratic voter, forced to choose between someone they hate and a pompous ass.
    “… but I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him… “(ABC News, Democrat Presidential Candidate Debate, Columbia, SC, 5/4/03)

“I voted to threaten the use of force to make Saddam Hussein comply with the resolutions of the United Nations.” (Sen. John Kerry, Remarks At Announcement Of Presidential Candidacy, Mount Pleasant, SC, 9/2/03)

”… Are you one of the anti-war candidates?” KERRY: “I am -- Yes, in the sense that I don’t believe the president took us to war as he should have, yes, absolutely.” (MSNBC’s “Hardball,” 1/6/04)

Kerry was absolutely splendid. On a single issue He provided us with a pair of flip-flops, a half flip, a half flop, a 'hedge my bet' and was positive about it.

Total score: Flip - 3 No Flip - 0

--

9. Sep 1, 2004 #8

Gza

I think I have a flip for you. If i'm correct, Kerry never supported the Vietnam war (no flopping there). I don't have any references or the time to find them, so if someone can look this up for me, that'd be great.

10. Sep 1, 2004 #9
    LOL..what have you been smoking? I don't hate nor like Bush.

I'm not crazy about Kerry either, he's not strong on issues. I personally don't think he'll win.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  11. Sep 1, 2004 #10

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Professional - Appology :cry: tendered!

12. Sep 1, 2004 #11

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Don’t bother looking it up.

http://www.johnkerry.com/about/john_kerry/service.html… As he was about to graduate from Yale, John Kerry volunteered to serve in Vietnam - because, as he later said, "it was the right thing to do." He believed that because he had had a lot of privileges in life - for example, attending a great university like Yale - he had a responsibility to give something back to his country.

http://www.boston.com/globe/nation/packages/kerry/061603.shtml… I didn't really want to get involved in the war," Kerry said in a little-noticed contribution to a book of Vietnam reminiscences published in 1986. "When I signed up for the swift boats, they had very little to do with the war. They were engaged in coastal patrolling and that's what I thought I was going to be doing."

Total score: Flip - 4 No Flip - 0

--

13. Sep 1, 2004 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Geniere...this is confusing. Why don't you stick with one scoring system instead of continuously flip-flopping ?

<neutral observer :wink:>

14. Sep 1, 2004 #13

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Yep - Confused me also.

15. Sep 1, 2004 #14
    "As he was about to graduate from Yale, John Kerry volunteered to serve in Vietnam - because, as he later said, "it was the right thing to do." He believed that because he had had a lot of privileges in life - for example, attending a great university like Yale - he had a responsibility to give something back to his country."

That statement is refering to the fact he believes giving back to your country is the right thing to do. It doesn't necessarily refer to him supporting the war.

I find it's sad that a candidate has to flip and flop just be be considered over an opposition that clearly needs to be voted out.

On another note: Isn't that new democratic commercial awesome. The one with the broken record is excellent. Bush's monotonous voice echos the point they are trying to make.

Edit:

‘…It’s basically a manhunt…’
    ‘…This war isn’t just a manhunt…’

Something can be basically a manhunt and still be not just a manhunt. Basically doesn't apply something to be entirely something.

Edit: "Kerry declared that “even knowing what we now know,” he would still have cast his vote in the Senate to authorize the Bush administration to invade Iraq. “I would have voted for the authority,” said Kerry. “I believe it was the right authority for the president to have.”

Kerry knows how to stand by his leader like he would stand by America if President. He can believe the President should have authority and not agree with the war. If everyone spoke out about everything the leader did that upset them then little would get done. Kerry probably realizes this.

It's the lack of common sense among individuals that's forcing Kerry to flip flop. I find it upseting.

16. Sep 1, 2004 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[​IMG]

Why do you think they call that a JK Flip-Flop ? :laughing:

17. Sep 1, 2004 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Finding flip-flops is going to be an inherently simple task. You find it in just about any supporter of the Iraq war.

Pat Tillman would be one of the few exceptions. Most war supporters aren't committed enough in their support to quit their day jobs. Obvioulsy, most supporters of the Iraq invasion are flip-floppers.

What you're suggesting is that attempting to serve in the safest manner possible is a flip-flop. Using those ground rules, the only way you can't find a flip-flop is if he volunteers to be designated as the guy officially resposnsible for jumping on top of any grenades that happen to land nearby.

18. Sep 1, 2004 #17

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The flip-flop in those quotes isn't his support for the war (in so many words), its his reason for joining the military: he said both that he did and didn't want to go to Vietnam.

19. Sep 1, 2004 #18
    He could want to go for some reasons and not want to go for others.

I both do and don't want to go back to school for example. I do want to learn but I don't want to wake up to go there.

20. Sep 1, 2004 #19

GENIERE

Science Advisor

I think a pro/con position is inferred but if GZA (originator) wishes I’ll alter the score.

21. Sep 1, 2004 #20
    Geniere, I wonder if you could come up with a stance Bush's taken that you feel he's been consistant on, and let me see if I can find a flip-flop he's preformed, or an outright lie he's told in regards to it.

One thing that immediately comes to mind is, he used to say nuclear the right way, now he say nukyuhler :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?