1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Challenge Use Taylor series expansions to prove first-order Differential Equation

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    Challenge!! Use Taylor series expansions to prove first-order Differential Equation

Suppose dy/dt = f(y) has an equilibrium point at y = y0 and
    a) f'(y0) = 0, f''(y0) = 0, and f'''(y0) > 0: Is yo a source, a sink, or a node?
    b) f'(y0) = 0, f''(y0) = 0, and f'''(y0) < 0: Is yo a source, a sink, or a node?
    b) f'(y0) = 0 and f''(y0) > 0: Is yo a source, a sink, or a node?

Also, prove the answer you pick is true for each part!

I know that the answer for a) is source, b) sink, c) Node but I have no clue how to prove that is true.
    Can anyone help me to start the question?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Challenge!! Use Taylor series expansions to prove first-order Differential Equati

How does your textbook define these terms: source, sink, node?

4. Feb 6, 2012 #3
    Re: Challenge!! Use Taylor series expansions to prove first-order Differential Equati

Let use an example to illustrate source, sink, and node
    For example, let assume the equilibrium points are y = -3 and y = 2. dy/dt < 0 fir -3 < y < 2, and dy/dt > 0 for y < -3 and y > 2. Given this information, y = -3 is a sink and y = 2 is a source.

Node just mean if the left hand and the right hand of an equilibrium has the same side of derivative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook