1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Challenge X: French fish

1. Aug 18, 2013 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Find the following limit:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2013 #2
    I have the vaguest feeling that the limit is 1. I'm too tired to prove it right now. I'll get back to it soon. :tongue:

Edit: Probably not. Looking at it now, as shown below, it is an upper bound. Taking the expansion out a couple terms, it looks like it's less than 0.6.

Why is this called french fish? Is this hinting at using something by Poisson?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  4. Aug 19, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Well, 1 is an upper limit:
    $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!} \leq \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{n^k}{k!} = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} 1 = 1$$

It is interesting that
    $$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!} = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \frac{n^k}{k!}$$ but I am not sure how to convert this to a lower limit on the limit.

Edit: Okay, that approach does not work. And the limit is not 1. I guess 1/2.

The question can be re-phrased as "in a Poisson distribution with expectation value n, what is the probability to get at most the expectation value?" - and then the limit of n->infinity. As the Poisson distribution approaches a Gaussian distribution, I would expect 1/2 as limit.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. Aug 19, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Right. The limit is indeed 1/2. And an application of the central limit theorem gives the answer. Well done!

6. Aug 19, 2013 #5
    I worked out that the limit is less than or equal to 0.5:

Reversing it and using the Taylor series for e:
    [tex]\frac{e^{n}}{ \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!}}=1+\frac{\sum_{k=n+1}^\infty \frac{n^k}{k!}}{ \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!}}[/tex]
    Introducing [itex]x=\frac{n^n}{n!}[/itex]
    [tex]\frac{\sum_{k=n+1}^\infty \frac{n^k}{k!}}{ \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!}}=\frac{x \frac{n}{n+1}+x \frac{n}{n+1} \frac{n}{n+2}+...}{x+x+x\frac{n-1}{n}+x\frac{n-1}{n}\frac{n-2}{n}+...}=\frac{\frac{n}{n+1}+\frac{n}{n+1} \frac{n}{n+2}+...}{2+\frac{n-1}{n}+\frac{n-1}{n}\frac{n-2}{n}+...}[/tex]
    The number of terms in the numerator is infinity, the denominator goes until the terms reach zero. For very large n we have a lot of terms close to 1, so we can neglect the 2. Since [itex]\frac{n}{n+a} > \frac{n-a}{n}[/itex] and replacing some of the terms in the numerator like that to get a 1 the result is:
    [tex]\frac{\frac{n}{n+1}+\frac{n}{n+1} \frac{n}{n+2}+...}{\frac{n-1}{n}+\frac{n-1}{n}\frac{n-2}{n}+...}>1+\frac{\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{(n)!n^k}{(2n+k)!}}{\frac{n-1}{n}+\frac{n-1}{n}\frac{n-2}{n}+...}[/tex]
    For large n the numerator of the second term goes to zero.

When I discarded the 2, maybe the denominator and numerator are quite equal, their difference is small and the 2 makes the denominator actually bigger. But in the limit it should be negligible, so the limit of the reciprocal is 2 or larger and the limit of the original expression is 0.5 or smaller.

7. Aug 19, 2013 #6

lurflurf

Homework Helper

You really like Obfuscation.
    since
    $$e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!}=\left( 1+ \gamma(n+1,n)/\Gamma(n+1,n) \right)^{-1}$$
    Why not just ask
    $$\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \gamma(n+1,n)/\Gamma(n+1,n)=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^n t^n e^{-t} \mathrm{d}t {\huge/} \int_n^\infty t^n e^{-t} \mathrm{d}t=1$$

8. Aug 19, 2013 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You don't seem to grasp the concept of a challenge :tongue:

9. Aug 20, 2013 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well done by mfb for finding the solution. The (partial) solution by chingel is also very nice!

And a special thanks to lurflurf for showing another neat interpretation of this problem!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook