What is the Limit of e^-n times n^k over k! for n Approaching Infinity?

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary, the limit to be found is:\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!}And the solution is 1/2, as shown by mfb's application of the central limit theorem. Other approaches, such as chingel's, also provide valid solutions to the problem. And lurflurf's interpretation offers a unique perspective on the limit.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Find the following limit:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!}[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
Find the following limit:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!}[/tex]

I have the vaguest feeling that the limit is 1. I'm too tired to prove it right now. I'll get back to it soon. :tongue:

Edit: Probably not. Looking at it now, as shown below, it is an upper bound. Taking the expansion out a couple terms, it looks like it's less than 0.6.

Why is this called french fish? Is this hinting at using something by Poisson?

Last edited:
Well, 1 is an upper limit:
$$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!} \leq \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{n^k}{k!} = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} 1 = 1$$

It is interesting that
$$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!} = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \frac{n^k}{k!}$$ but I am not sure how to convert this to a lower limit on the limit.

Edit: Okay, that approach does not work. And the limit is not 1. I guess 1/2.

The question can be re-phrased as "in a Poisson distribution with expectation value n, what is the probability to get at most the expectation value?" - and then the limit of n->infinity. As the Poisson distribution approaches a Gaussian distribution, I would expect 1/2 as limit.

Last edited:
mfb said:
Well, 1 is an upper limit:
$$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!} \leq \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{n^k}{k!} = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} 1 = 1$$

It is interesting that
$$\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!} = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \frac{n^k}{k!}$$ but I am not sure how to convert this to a lower limit on the limit.

Edit: Okay, that approach does not work. And the limit is not 1. I guess 1/2.

The question can be re-phrased as "in a Poisson distribution with expectation value n, what is the probability to get at most the expectation value?" - and then the limit of n->infinity. As the Poisson distribution approaches a Gaussian distribution, I would expect 1/2 as limit.

Right. The limit is indeed 1/2. And an application of the central limit theorem gives the answer. Well done!

I worked out that the limit is less than or equal to 0.5:

Reversing it and using the Taylor series for e:
[tex]\frac{e^{n}}{ \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!}}=1+\frac{\sum_{k=n+1}^\infty \frac{n^k}{k!}}{ \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!}}[/tex]
Introducing [itex]x=\frac{n^n}{n!}[/itex]
[tex]\frac{\sum_{k=n+1}^\infty \frac{n^k}{k!}}{ \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!}}=\frac{x \frac{n}{n+1}+x \frac{n}{n+1} \frac{n}{n+2}+...}{x+x+x\frac{n-1}{n}+x\frac{n-1}{n}\frac{n-2}{n}+...}=\frac{\frac{n}{n+1}+\frac{n}{n+1} \frac{n}{n+2}+...}{2+\frac{n-1}{n}+\frac{n-1}{n}\frac{n-2}{n}+...}[/tex]
The number of terms in the numerator is infinity, the denominator goes until the terms reach zero. For very large n we have a lot of terms close to 1, so we can neglect the 2. Since [itex]\frac{n}{n+a} > \frac{n-a}{n}[/itex] and replacing some of the terms in the numerator like that to get a 1 the result is:
[tex]\frac{\frac{n}{n+1}+\frac{n}{n+1} \frac{n}{n+2}+...}{\frac{n-1}{n}+\frac{n-1}{n}\frac{n-2}{n}+...}>1+\frac{\sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{(n)!n^k}{(2n+k)!}}{\frac{n-1}{n}+\frac{n-1}{n}\frac{n-2}{n}+...}[/tex]
For large n the numerator of the second term goes to zero.

When I discarded the 2, maybe the denominator and numerator are quite equal, their difference is small and the 2 makes the denominator actually bigger. But in the limit it should be negligible, so the limit of the reciprocal is 2 or larger and the limit of the original expression is 0.5 or smaller.

You really like Obfuscation.
since
$$e^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{n^k}{k!}=\left( 1+ \gamma(n+1,n)/\Gamma(n+1,n) \right)^{-1}$$
Why not just ask
$$\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \gamma(n+1,n)/\Gamma(n+1,n)=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^n t^n e^{-t} \mathrm{d}t {\huge/} \int_n^\infty t^n e^{-t} \mathrm{d}t=1$$

lurflurf said:
You really like Obfuscation.

You don't seem to grasp the concept of a challenge :tongue:

Well done by mfb for finding the solution. The (partial) solution by chingel is also very nice!

And a special thanks to lurflurf for showing another neat interpretation of this problem!

1. What is Challenge X: French fish?

Challenge X: French fish is a scientific experiment that aims to study the behavior and characteristics of French fish species in their natural habitat. It involves observing and collecting data on different types of French fish and analyzing the results to gain a better understanding of these animals.

2. What types of fish are included in Challenge X: French fish?

Challenge X: French fish includes a variety of fish species commonly found in French waters, such as carp, pike, perch, and trout. These species have been chosen based on their prevalence and importance in the French fish population.

3. What methods are used in Challenge X: French fish?

The methods used in Challenge X: French fish may vary, but typically include observation, data collection through various techniques (e.g. tagging, tracking), and analysis of collected data. Scientists may also use specialized equipment such as underwater cameras and sensors to study the behavior and movements of the fish.

4. What are the goals of Challenge X: French fish?

The main goals of Challenge X: French fish are to gain a deeper understanding of French fish species, their behavior, and their role in the ecosystem. This information can then be used to inform conservation efforts, fisheries management, and other related fields.

5. How long will Challenge X: French fish last?

The duration of Challenge X: French fish may vary depending on the specific research objectives and funding. It could range from a few months to several years, as data collection and analysis can be a time-consuming process. Results and findings will be published periodically throughout the duration of the project.