1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Challenging Physics

1. Oct 11, 2003 #1
    Hey guys I need help on this one physics problem. I did the problem but im not sure whether I did it right. Please make comments if i did the problem wrong. Thank you.

A projectile is shot from the edge of a cliff 125 M above ground levbel with an inital speed of 65 m/s at an angle of 37 degrees with the horizontal.

a)determine the time taken by the projectile to hit point P at ground level. (I got 2.45(s)

b)Determine the range X of the projectile as measured from the base of a cliff( I got 127.4)

c)The horizontal and vertical components of its velocity. I got V(x)=39 m/s and V(y) as 63 m/s.

d) Determine the magnitude of the velocity.( I said 81.46 50.46 degrees above the x-axis.

e) Determine the angle made by the velocity vector with the horizontal( I got 50.46 degrees.

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2003 #2
    To find the initial vx and vy components of the velocity you have to apply these formulas:

vx=vin*cos φ
    vy=vin*sin φ

so
    vx=65*cos 37=51.3 m/s
    vy=65*sin 37=39 m/s

I suppose the rest of the answers must be wrong

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?