How Far Does a Moving Electron Get From a Fixed Electron When It Stops?

In summary: ERICAN ELECTRONICS ASSOCIATIONIn summary, the problem is absurd and assumes electrons as bowling balls. The answer can be found applying the old famous energy conservation law.
salman_upright
hi.
i want to ask one problem about electrostaics.
i will be very thankful to u if u post reply about this question.

Suppose we have one moving electron ,approaching towards a fixed electron.
If they 1mm apart when the moving electron has the velocity of 1000cm/s.
How far will be the moving electron from the fixed electron when it comes to the rest.

mass of electron=9.1E-31 Kg
charge of electron =1.6E-19 C

Answer=.5 mm

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Energy is conserved!

salman_upright said:
hi.
How far will be the moving electron from the fixed electron when it comes to the rest.
Answer=.5 mm

Though the problem is absurd (it assumes the electrons as bowling balls,one of them being fixed (probably some "intelligent"dude stuck it with glue :tongue2: )) as (probably) implies electrostatic interaction when it actually ain't,i'll say that the answer can be found out applying the old famous energy conseration law,since that old & tired looking Coulomb potential comes from a conservative force .

Daniel.

PS.I guess the only challanging fact about this problem is trying not to laugh whe reading its text. :wink:

... implies electrostatic interaction when it actually ain't

Hmm. 1 esu, 1000 cm/s, 1 mm - does that suggest to you that radiation, quantum, relativistic and space warping effects are significant? Get back to us when you've carried out the calculation to 137 signficant digits. :wink:

Tide said:
Hmm. 1 esu, 1000 cm/s, 1 mm - does that suggest to you that radiation, quantum, relativistic and space warping effects are significant? Get back to us when you've carried out the calculation to 137 signficant digits. :wink:

U got me there,Tide... :biggrin: But at least it shouldn't have called them "electrons",but "electrically charged bowling balls".And should have given reasonable figures for mass and charge.

Daniel.

PS.I knew QED only stopped at 12 significant digits. :rofl: IIi guess u saw me a relative of Super(machine gun :rofl: )man... :wink:

don't be smart ok
give me the solution man

Well, first, you should be posting your homework problems in the homework section and, second, you should be telling us exactly what YOU have tried so far on the problem. I think it's a bit over the top to DEMAND a solution to YOUR problem from people who give freely of their time and knowledge. Moreover, you've already been given the key hint to actually solving the problem yourself.

The moving electron should have a initial kinetic energy. This kinetic energy will need to be dissipated by electromotive repulsion, EMF. Should be easy enough.

salman_upright said:
hi.

Answer=.5 mm
[tex]U_i + KE_i = U_f + KE_f[/tex]

[tex]KE_i = \frac{1}{2}m_ev^2[/tex]

[tex]KE_f = 0[/tex]

[tex]U_i = \frac{kQ_e^2}{d_i}[/tex]

[tex]U_f = \frac{kQ_e^2}{d_{min}}[/tex]

So:

[tex]d_{min} =\frac{kQ_e^2}{kQ_e^2/d_i + \frac{1}{2}m_ev^2}[/tex]

[tex]d_{min} =\frac{d_i}{1 + \frac{d_im_ev^2}{2kQ_e^2}}[/tex]

Plug in the numbers and what do you get?

For [tex]kQ_e^2[/tex] I get 23.04E-29 Jm
For [tex]\frac{1}{2}m_ev^2[/tex] I get 4.55E-29 J.

So I would say that there is something wrong with the question if the answer is .5 mm.

AM

1. What is electrostatics and why is it considered a challenging problem?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest. It is a challenging problem because it involves complex mathematical equations and concepts, and it is difficult to visualize and understand without the use of advanced technology.

2. What are the key principles of electrostatics?

The key principles of electrostatics include Coulomb's law, which describes the force between two charged particles, and the concept of electric fields, which explains how charged particles interact with each other and with their surroundings.

3. What are some real-world applications of electrostatics?

Electrostatics has many important applications, such as in electronics and telecommunications, where it is used to control and manipulate electric charges. It is also used in air purifiers, printers, and other household appliances.

4. How does electrostatics differ from electromagnetism?

While both electrostatics and electromagnetism deal with electric charges and fields, electrostatics focuses on stationary charges, while electromagnetism also considers moving charges and their interaction with magnetic fields.

5. What are some current challenges in the field of electrostatics?

One of the current challenges in electrostatics is finding ways to control and manipulate electric charges on a smaller scale, such as in nanotechnology and microelectronics. Another challenge is understanding and mitigating the effects of electrostatic discharge, which can cause damage to electronic devices and equipment.