1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Challenging question on fluid dynamics

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 150 m^3 silo(cylinder) (12 m high) is used to store cream (density 850 kg m-3). An electronic pressure sensor (measures gauge pressure) is mounted 0.6 m up from the base of the tank, and a 0 to 100% display is used to indicate the level. It is not possible to sense
    the level once it is below the sensor, but the display can be calibrated with a constant
    offset to account for this extra fluid (for example, the sensor can show 10% when
    there is no pressure). Derive an equation to relate the display reading (in %) to the
    sensor pressure. What offset should be used on the display to account for the 0.6 m
    mounting height? If water is used instead of cream, how high must the silo be in
    order for the display (calibrated for cream) to read 100% when the silo is full?

2. Relevant equations

P=F/A
    P=ρ+ρgh
    ρ=m/v
    Q=Av

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea where to start where can I start with ok

m=ρV=850/150=5.7kg

I am not sure how to derive an equation to relate the display reading (in %) to the
    sensor pressure.

Any clues guys

cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2012 #2
    would I be able to use Bernoullies principle on this question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook