1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Challenging Question

1. Feb 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron is fired at a speed vo = 5.0 106 m/s and at an angle o = -44° between two parallel conducting plates that are D = 3.7 mm apart, as in Figure P16.66. The voltage difference between the plates is V = 100 V.

(a) Determine how close, d, the electron will get to the bottom plate.

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of energy:
    (1/2)mv^2 = -qEd
    E=V/D

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking conservation of energy because the electron is initially moving and when it reaches max, it stops and KE is converted to PE.
    (1/2)(9.109e-31)[(5e6)sin(44)]^2 = (-1.602e-19)(27027.02)(d)
    d = 0.001269 m

E = (100/0.0037) = 27027.2 N/C

Anyone knows what is wrong?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2007 #2
    I would probably tackle it with forces so that the vectors remain intact. You never said what the question was asking for.

4. Feb 6, 2007 #3
    sry forgot the question. I edited the post. I was thinking of using projectile motion to solve this question, but I can't solve for the force that moves the electron towards the positive plate.
    I know F = qE

edit: omg I just told myself how to solve this. Nevermind, I think I know how to do this. :]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  5. Jul 19, 2007 #4
    bump

is that the correct method? i tried using it and got an incorrect answer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?