Solve "Challenging Question" Homework on Electron at Parallel Plates

• Thread starter Touchme
  • Start date
In summary, an electron is fired at a speed of 5.0 * 10^6 m/s and at an angle of -44° between two parallel conducting plates that are 3.7 mm apart with a voltage difference of 100 V. Using the conservation of energy and the equation E=V/D, the electron is predicted to get to 0.001269 m close to the bottom plate. However, using forces and the equation F=qE, the correct method for solving this question is still unclear.
Touchme

Homework Statement

An electron is fired at a speed vo = 5.0 106 m/s and at an angle o = -44° between two parallel conducting plates that are D = 3.7 mm apart, as in Figure P16.66. The voltage difference between the plates is V = 100 V.

(a) Determine how close, d, the electron will get to the bottom plate.

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy:
(1/2)mv^2 = -qEd
E=V/D

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking conservation of energy because the electron is initially moving and when it reaches max, it stops and KE is converted to PE.
(1/2)(9.109e-31)[(5e6)sin(44)]^2 = (-1.602e-19)(27027.02)(d)
d = 0.001269 m

E = (100/0.0037) = 27027.2 N/C

Anyone knows what is wrong?

Attachments

• p16-66.gif
    p16-66.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would probably tackle it with forces so that the vectors remain intact. You never said what the question was asking for.

sry forgot the question. I edited the post. I was thinking of using projectile motion to solve this question, but I can't solve for the force that moves the electron towards the positive plate.
I know F = qE

edit: omg I just told myself how to solve this. Nevermind, I think I know how to do this. :]

Last edited:
bump

is that the correct method? i tried using it and got an incorrect answer

What is the purpose of solving "Challenging Question" homework on electron at parallel plates?

The purpose of this homework is to understand the behavior of electrons in an electric field between two parallel plates. It involves applying principles of electromagnetism and mathematical calculations to solve complex problems and gain a deeper understanding of the topic.

What are the key concepts that need to be understood to solve this type of homework?

Some key concepts that are essential to solving this type of homework include understanding electric fields, Coulomb's law, electric potential and potential difference, and the motion of charged particles in an electric field.

What are the common challenges students face while solving "Challenging Question" homework on electron at parallel plates?

Some common challenges students face while solving this type of homework include understanding the problem statement, identifying the relevant equations to use, and correctly applying mathematical concepts and principles. Additionally, visualizing the behavior of electrons in an electric field can also be a challenge for some students.

How can I approach solving "Challenging Question" homework on electron at parallel plates?

It is recommended to first carefully read and understand the problem statement, then identify the relevant concepts and equations to use. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and its solution. Break down the problem into smaller, manageable steps and solve them systematically. Finally, double check your calculations and answers to ensure accuracy.

What are some useful resources for further understanding "Challenging Question" homework on electron at parallel plates?

Apart from class notes and textbooks, there are various online resources and tutorials available that can provide additional explanations and practice problems for this topic. Seeking help from a tutor or discussing with classmates can also be beneficial in gaining a deeper understanding of the concepts involved.